Spock

Being the only other half-Vulcan officer on the Enterprise was definitely a challenge. You knew and understood that not everyone was going to act friendly towards you, but it was a calculated risk. You were here to work, not to make friends. Regardless, you had formed some sort of bond with your first officer, Spock. It wasn't anything out of the ordinary, you two often chatted about work and played chess. Sometimes he won, sometimes you. It was a true match of pure logic.

So why did you feel anxious to see him? Was anxious even the right word, you wondered, taking a bite out of one of the vegetables on the plate in front of you. All that was clear was the fact that you were definitely more lively when around him. You looked around the mess hall. Could they see your breach of logic? Surely it was blatantly obvious to anyone, yet no one payed any attention to you. You raised your head a bit more as you saw Spock appear in the doorway, headed straight for the replicator. In an attempt to distract yourself, you returned to the plate in front of you and shoved a few more vegetables into your mouth. As per usual, Spock sat down across from you. "Lieutenant," he began, politely nodding. "Nice to see you are here." You politely nodded back and swallowed what was in your mouth. "Likewise. Are we still on for chess after this shift?" He raised his eyebrows. "Yes, of course. Unless you have other plans." You shook your head. "Just confirming." You reassured before continuing to eat.

Normally, both of you ate in silence and then small talked for a few minutes before one of you returned to work, but this time you noticed him sitting quietly, studying you curiously. "Is something wrong?" You inquired, meeting his gaze. He furrowed his brow before replying, "Your face is greener than usual. Do you require a visit to the medbay?" You touched your face curiously. It was unusually hot in this room. Or was it just you? "I don't think it will be necessary." The words came out of your mouth too abruptly and Spock raised his eyebrows in apparent amusement.

You met his gaze. A moment of silence passed. You noted the way his shoulders curved to his neck. You noted the way his hands rested on the table patiently. You didn't look to see if anyone was watching, but slowly, you placed your hand on his. Surprised, he looked at your connected hands. The surprise turned to confusion as he met your eyes. "Lieutenant?" His tone softer than usual as if he were trying to understand. You didn't reply. What would you even say? Logic wasn't running through your head. Instead, your human side began to pull through.

His look of confusion melted back into his normal face and your heart began to race. You saw your career ending in star fleet, a public humiliation amongst your people. This had been a mistake. Why would you think this was a good idea? You wanted to pull your hand away, stand up, and leave. But there was something stopping you. You looked down at your hand and found that Spock was holding it gently, steadily rubbing soft circles with his thumb. The wave of worry that had washed over you dissipated and you gave him a small smile which he politely returned. He pulled his hand back and resumed eating. "I do believe a change of schedule is in order here." It was your turn to be confused. "What do you mean?" He didn't look up, but you could see the small smirk on his face. "I do believe we are going to have to postpone that game of chess."