Gradutation

"And now, ladies and gentlemen, I would like to present to you... The class of 2015!" The speaker on the podium announces with a huge grin on his face. Everyone throws their cap in the air with a loud cheer as hoot and hollers echo throughout the filled room.

"We did it!"

"We survived!"

"I'm going to miss you, so much. Text me soon!"

People say as the ceremony ends. The room is filled with excited chatter, somber parents, and relived and happy students.

I smile at the sight before me. I did it. I did it. A giddy feeling rockets through my body and I spread my arms and shout joyfully to the heavens, "I DID IT!"

A familiar laugh causes me to turn around quickly making my cap fall off and my hair swing wildly.

"Chase," I yell still giddy. "We did it!" My face splits open into a wide smile and jump around excitedly. His laugh deepens and I start laughing along with him.

"I- I was- going to-" he tries to say, but fails and continues to laugh instead almost falling from the effort. Rolling my eyes, but still smiling, I help him up. His light brown eyes, hazel if we were to be specific, were ablaze with excitement, joy, and happiness.

I tousle his brown and wavy hair causing protests to join our celebration. Soon our hyper attitude wears off and we smile small at each other.

"Wow..." He breathes out.

"Yeah..." I reply back with the same tone of awe and disbelief.

We look at each other and I look away only to be surprised by a pair of arms swinging me around.

"WE GRADUATED. WE DID IT!" He starts yelling again. The mood of giddiness starts to seep in again and we both laugh like idiots.

Our laughs soon taper off and we now stand in the nearly empty stadium in a comfortable silence.

Tears start to escape and I quickly dry them off, only to be replaced with more.

"We finished, Chase. We finished. Now we have college to go through. I'm so scared, but I'm so happy. You were my first friend here ever since I moved here in first grade, my first date, my first kiss, my first love, my first everything (No not that, get your minds out of the gutter. Idjits.). I can't believe we did it, but we did. And I'm so glad, that you're still here to support me." I say my voice cracking in a million ways. My head is tucked down ashamed of the tears trailing down my cheeks.

"Don't cry. I'm here and you're here. We can do it, together. Like we always do." Chase whispers wiping a stray tear with his thumb. "We graduated high school and now we can go to college. We'll finish together and we'll stick together. Through thick and thin. No matter what happens."

"After all this time?" I sniffle out.

"Always." He replies, smiling at my reference. Then he kisses my forehead and gives me a hug. I melt into it and hug him back. We stand there for a few minutes, then head outside hand in hand.

Outside, everything was hectic. Caps flying, people laughing and smiling, parents snapping pictures, protest from the showing cameras and flashes, and teachers congratulating.

I pull away from Chase and give him a look. "I should go now. My parents are waiting." He nods and throws me a key. I barely catch it with the tips of my fingers and give him a look of surprise.

"You brought your car? But I thought your parents dropped you off?" I asked.

"I knew you'd want to use it today. Go ahead. I'll tell my mom and dad that we'll see you later. Your parents are probably waiting for you." He says with a smile. "Say hi to them for me will you?"

I bob my head and dash towards the parking lot, running around continuously clicking the keys to hear the familiar chirp of the car nearby. I jump in and drive to my apartment only a couple minutes away due to the use of Chase's car.

My superior parking skills are demonstrated when I quite crookedly place the car in a spot and slam the door in anticipation. My cap falls off as I race up the stairs, but I catch it and continue until I reach the top floor. My breathing is heavy, but I'm not bothered by it. Small butterflies, more like eagles, flutter in my stomach.

I open the door after a few attempts of getting the key into the lock and race into the living room then open my laptop and answer a call in Skype from my sister.

"Mom! Dad! I did it and I know you guys wouldn't be able to attend since you guys are in North Carolina and I'm in California, but that's okay. Of course it is. It'll always be okay. I'm so excited to go to college and I'm so glad that Chase will be going with me to support me and vice versa. We both really love each other and he understands me. You'd really like him mom and dad, I just know it. The ceremony was really beautiful and at the end it was kind of hectic, but I loved it. I loved every moment of it." I pause and take a breath then look at the screen. My sister had tears in her eyes as she gave me a watery smile and then turned the camera back to the original view.

It was silent for a few minutes. Like it always was.

"I bet you guys would have loved it." I whisper.

"I love you guys and I miss you so much and I wish you would be here to celebrate with me. But I know you are. You're just not celebrating it with me down here. I hope you guys are proud of me." I say choking up and closing my eyes of what I see.

After a few moments I open them again and I see a stone.

An old and weathered one, but still beautiful nevertheless.

John Hessein (42) and Mary Hessein (42)

1969-2011

We will never forget you. We love you, always and forever.