What is happening?

I walked home thinking of my decision to join the school team, then it dawned on me that I had some assignments from the writers club to submit and as far as I know I have no gossip, no rumour, no news. If I sign up for the basketball team I won't have so much time to myself, for the club and for family.

I walked through the front gate so much engrossed in my thinking. Lily hugged me as usual and I picked her up.

"Did you see Reese today?" she quizzed

Oh hell , I forgot entirely that I was about to call her, I dropped Lily and removed my phone ignoring Lily's question. When I pressed the dial button it went directly to voice mail, "Dammit" I almost screamed.

Realizing something was wrong Lily crept away from me sadly. It looked so sad the way she distanced herself from me and hid her face. My life was moving too fast and I hated the directions.

The number of victims of my attitude is swelling. I need to slow things down and readjust, my world was turning into a dark gloom and I could taste the discomforting foretaste of bitterness.

The next day I walked through the hallway ignoring the people staring at me, I was so self-indulged, thinking about nothing. I had tried calling Reese today but her phone was still off. I expected to see her today because we had the same morning class- I had rehearsed some apologies.

Lexie walked through the door and sat right next to me- a seat I had reserved for Reese. 

 "Good morning, sorry about yesterday" she said echoeing the first line of my apology.

My face changed immediately registering what was on my mind- 'what about yesterday?' I wondered.

"Oh I mean Archie, yesterday, remember?" She said with a smile as if it was good news. I had put that out of my mind. She kept staring at me as if forcing something out of me.

"Don't worry about it" I said enthusiastically, forcing a half smile.

She looked disappointed at the length of my comment but it didn't bother me even slightly. I was just alternating my gaze between the clock and the door. My mind was running wild with foolish thoughts of what could be wrong. What's the worst that could've happened to Reese. As long as I've known her she was never late. I was just hoping she was late today. But the look on my face and my demeanor lacked the remotest resemblance of hope.

"Hey, are you okay?" Lexie pried drawing me out of my tangled thoughts. Everyone was leaving, I was still glued to my seat staring into emptiness. I didn't even realize when the class ended.

"Wha....what?" I stammered and quickly picked up my bag "Yeah I'm okay, it's just something I have to do" I said excusing myself. I rushed out to the cafeteria to get some snacks and headed back to the library expecting I'll find her at her favorite spot. 

The library was always empty as usual. The well dressed librarian smiled gracefully at me when I entered. I approached the register to sign in. I was checking through the list to find where Reese's  name was.

There weren't a lot of names on the list, so I finished quickly. I didn't even sign in. I just walked out of the library, with my worries.

Please don't hesitate to vote. Be kind and tap the star. Share with other readers what you think about it. Thank you.