Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Warning/s: None

Disclaimer: I don't own Merlin.

A/N: I'm so tired and hungry and ill and I'm just lying in bed watching Jeremy Kyle and reading fanfiction yay

"Are you planning to stay in the castle forever?" Freya asked, trying on yet another dress and turning around her Merlin to see. He was charged with taking care of the discarded clothes and folding them up neatly, sitting on the edge of their bed.

"Beautiful," he replied. All he had said in response to all of the dresses were synonyms of the same word, but Freya seemed content with that. "Maybe. I don't know. I was until you came back. Now I think I'd like to find a house in the town for us both."

"I would like that," Freya said happily. "Were you planning on any time?"

"I was thinking when we were betrothed," Merlin said hesitantly. Although he felt no doubt that Freya also wanted to get married, they had never broached the subject before, and it was nerve-wracking.

"This one?"

"Gorgeous. It suits you."

"Thank you. And I agree; I think if we moved in before then, people would talk. It would be disrespectful, or something like that." Her tone and words showed that she had little regard for the etiquette herself.

"And we'll need to save up a bit," Merlin said, standing up and kissing her cheek. He kept a box of his wages underneath the floorboard in his room, the amount which wasn't used for food or clothing. He pulled it out and opened it. "I have some savings, but not enough by far."

"Then we'll just have to wait," Freya said with a twinkle in her eye. "Still, I can't wait until the day we have our own house." She seemed to grow bored of trying on the dresses then, and clambered into her nightgown now. "And having a bed that we can sleep side by side in."

"That will be nice," Merlin agreed, as Freya washed her face.

LINE BREAK

"Sorry if I squashed you at all," Freya said guiltily, for the fifth time that morning, as they made their way to Arthur and Gwen's chambers. "I wouldn't, but you know...I can't sleep anywhere else but on top of you."

"You did not squash me at all," Merlin said firmly. "And even if you did, it wouldn't be your fault and I wouldn't care."

"Thank you," Freya said, leaning into Merlin's side and winding her arm around his waist. "You are too good to me."

"It is no better than you deserve."

They broke apart when they reached the royal chambers, but carried on their conversation, thinking that Arthur and Gwen would need waking. As it turned out, they were both up and dressed – well, Gwen was – and already doing paperwork.

"Good morning," Merlin said in surprise, holding the door open for Freya. "You're up early, Arthur."

"Gwen made me," Arthur complained. "What were you two talking about outside? You could be heard from the other side of the castle."

Merlin glared at him and started to make the bed. "We were talking about beds, actually."

"Beds?" Arthur raised an eyebrow suspiciously, as if he didn't trust Merlin to be telling the truth.

"Yes. More specifically, my bed."

"It's too small," Freya contributed. "I have to sleep on top of Merlin and I'm scared I'm going to suffocate him in the night."

"Wouldn't be surprised," Arthur snorted. "He's got as much strength as a new born foal."

Merlin stuck his nose up at the insult and carried on stripping the bed. "I'll have you know that it's not a problem at all."

"Could a decent sized bed fit in your room, Merlin?" Gwen asked thoughtfully.

"It could fit in the room, but it wouldn't be able to get through the door," Merlin answered with a laugh. "So don't get any bright ideas, Gwen. The wardrobe and your old dresses – that was enough."

"You found them?" Gwen asked brightly.

"They were hard to miss," Freya pointed out.

"I suppose," Gwen said distractedly. "You know, if there was only a way to get a bed into your room, I could do it. I know that there's a bed in one of the spare rooms that is no longer needed."

"Gwen, you're very kind to offer, but there is really no need," Freya declined politely. "We will have to make our own way in the world."

Gwen nodded, but Merlin had seen that look in her eye for long enough now to know that she was planning something.

"How did she do it?" Freya asked in amazement. "I mean...it's about three times wider than the door."

"Maybe she hired someone to take it apart and then reassemble it?" Merlin suggested. He wouldn't put Gwen past it; she had a kind heart and determined mind.

"Well, however she did it, it's massive!" Freya beamed gleefully and took a running leap onto the double bed. "Ooh, it's so soft!"

Merlin laughed at her childish nature but then did the same, wrapping his arms around Freya. "You won't have to suffocate me anymore," he said mischievously. "Although I have to say, I didn't mind all of it." He winked at her, chuckling when she turned bright red, and kissed her slowly and deeply, making sure to lock the door first.

A/N: ugh such a bad ending