Ch 4

He felt it.
Felt
It.
His heart
Lurch.
Like a white-hot jolt of lightning striking him.
He stopped dead in his tracks amidst the crowd of people walking past him, around him. He didn't even feel when they bumped, pushed and jostled him in annoyance. Didn't even hear the muttered curses they threw at him for blocking their paths.
The only thing he knew was the smell.
He closed his eyes.
Inhaled the sweet, rich
scent...

His eyes fluttered and rolled back into his head. 

His mouth flooded with saliva.

The veins coursing throughout his body hummed.

He lifted his pale face towards the giant silver orb hovering in the dark sky and took another deep breath.
Sniffed
This way
And
That.
Moved his head languidly the way a snake does when ensnared by a charmers hypnotic flute.
Just as a captive dancing cobra he too moved with the slow, drunken moves as he picked up the smell, felt it fill and spark the dead emptiness inside him.
For the first time in the fourteen days since his last hunt he felt his eyes widen, the hot rush of blood through his veins and a smile spread on his lips.
What joy. What joy to feel. To be able to feel joy, hunger, desire. What joy to feel
Alive.
What joy to feel like a being filled with pure life even if the feeling was still faint.
To smell it. To taste it- He had to have more.
His mouth watered.

And a cruel, deadly grin lifted the corners of his mouth.

He could practically feel the tender flesh of his prey give beneath his suddenly aching teeth, the hot copper tang flood his mouth and slide down his throat...
Somewhere something groaned with need. Somewhere something panted and wheezed with desire, with lust. Somewhere something inside him shook with
WANT.
He looked at his trembling fingers uncaring of the disgusted, horrified looks those around him gave him. Noticed the cold sweat running down his back, his face and neck. Took stock of his weak, shaky legs. Whoever it was, wherever they were he knew the hot rush of pure light and life running through their veins was stronger than anything he'd ever experienced. So much so that just a mere whiff of their scent nearly brought him to his knees.
And that was when he knew he had to find it. Find that person. Find his next prey.
His Light.

And this time, he would make sure he kept them alive.