Chapter 10

I clicked my pen, trying to create a suitable enough tune. Pretending to be actually absorbed in Life skills lectures was actually one of the hardest parts of my life. There were mainly three reasons for that:

One, the teacher hated me since Adrian had expressed interest in working on an assignment with me.

Two, I hated the teacher because she hated me, and also because she looked at Adrian in a way that was in no way considered proper. It made me experience a weird feeling which I had deciphered as jealousy.

Three, I hated the subject.

"Hey Beastie," Adrian whispered from my side. But on the plus side, Life skills wasn't so bad as long as I had the pewter-eyed boy next to me.

"Hi," I whispered back and allowed myself to sneak a glance at him. He was clad in a red V-neck shirt that seemed to be shredded at the hems, black jeans and boots. As an addition, he a black web choker.

Increase in heartbeat, check.

"You look tired," he observed. "Didn't you sleep well?"

I gave him a small smile. Somehow, I really appreciated his concern.

"No, I slept really well. I don't have nightmares anymore, so I get a proper amount of sleep these days," I said enthusiastically.

"You had nightmares?" His brows furrowed.

My smile faded.

Damn it, I wasn't supposed to say that.

"Yeah... sometimes."

He studied my face carefully and I dropped my gaze. "You don't look okay."

"Uh...well I do feel a bit tired," I admitted. "And my hands are really sweaty."

He pressed the back of his hand against my cheek  "Your face is all hot. Are you sick? You should check in with the nurse," he suggested.

I shook my head. "No, actually I'm on my period."

"Oh,"He looked contemplative."Give me your hand."

I held my hand out and he took it, straightening both of our hands until hers was running the length of his. His hand was easily bigger than me.

And it felt ice cold.

"Does that feel good?" he asked.

"Yes," I admitted breathlessly. "It feels really good, thanks."  If only he knew what I was actually referring to. "Why are you so cold?"

He smirked. "I'm not. You're the one who's burning up."

Someone cleared their throat loudly.

We both looked up, only to find the whole class staring at us, some with mouths wide open while some of the girls were glaring at me.

Oh, but it was nothing compared to the vicious glare Heather gave me.

I tried to break free, feeling extremely embarrassed, but Adrian simply lowered our hands and looked forward, as blasé as ever.

I looked down, desperately wishing that the ground would swallow me up as I tried to control my uneven breathing. I tried to avoid getting distracted when I listened half-heartedly to the report on the Second World War.

Suddenly, there was a moment in which lightening struck. Adrian let  his thumb lightly stroke on the back of my hand.

Huh?

I heart was in my throat. It lasted about three seconds until the bell rung and he let go, but it was enough to make me feel partially faint.

"You should still go to the infirmary though," he suggested after we walked out.