Part 8

My eyes locked on Cenec who lay sprawled out underneath Steve. He wasn’t as lucky as Steve. He was shot in his head. Twice. It looked gruesome. Blood, bone and mush were spread all around his head leaving a part of his head unaccounted for. I could see almost into his brain, standing over him, just watching his body.

It was weird. I had never seen a dead person before, let alone one who had been shot. I couldn’t tear my eyes away.

“Creepy, isn’t it?” Steve had stood up and was watching Cenec over my shoulder. I was so distracted by Cenec I hadn’t even realized Steve had moved.

“Fascinating,” I whispered.

“Get moving! I don’t have all day!” Bronwic was still aiming his gun at us, making me come around and remember the danger I was actually in. Still, I wasn’t feeling like I was supposed to. There was no real fear. I figured if he wanted to shoot me, he would have done so, right?

Steve was covering up his shoulder with his hand. It must hurt really bad I thought smiling maliciously as I glanced at him. While feeling guilty, I still felt he got what he deserved for dragging me into this. His returning smile was sour, there even was something dangerous in his eyes. Something that made me think I might have to watch out for Steve more than I should watch out for Bronwic.

“Steve, where are my drugs? And don’t play innocent. I know you and Cenec took it. Tell me where it is.” Bronwic sounded like he was really tired of it all. He wanted this to be over with.

“Bron, it was in her suitcase. I swear. I don’t know where it disappeared to. I swear upon my life, I didn’t take it. I know better than to steal from you.”

Steve didn’t sound as if he was pleading. It sounded more like he was convincing his dad he didn’t touch the liquor in the cabinet.

“You do know better than that, Steve. That is why it is so troubling.” Steve grimaced.

“You are so sure it’s me, right? You don’t think Emma could have taken it? Are you so sure she is innocent?” Bronwic shook his head.

“Of course she isn’t! You probably figured it out together!” My eyes grew wide.

“WHAT?!” I exclaimed, “How do you figure that? I don’t know, Steve. I only met him on this freaking trip and we only spoke on bus today when our group was facing certain death, racing off the mountain without functioning breaks! I had no idea I had drugs in my suitcase! How could I? And I certainly did not ask to be involved in all of this!” Steve rolled his eyes.

“Crybaby,” he said, “You wanted adventure and now that you have it, you’re crying about it. What does it take for you to be happy?”

I opened my mouth, but no words came out. I was too shocked to say anything.

“Excuse me?!” I replied after finding my voice, “Adventure? You call this an adventure? And who the fuck are you, caring about my happiness? You didn’t even speak to me before this afternoon! And now four freaking times you have put my life in danger!! You are a freaking lunatic, a psycho even and I hate you, Steve! I really do!” Bronwic smiled amused.

“Young love, isn’t that precious!” he teased before growing ever so serious. “I want my drugs. I just killed Cenec. And I’ve known him for years. Don’t think it will be harder on me to kill the two of you." He considered something before continuing: "So, Steve, the lady claims you know more about it. You are apparently all about adventure. Where is it?”

“Don’t you think I would have told you if I knew?” was Steve’s only reply. I rolled my eyes at him.

“You had plenty of time to figure out a scheme while I was out cold in the back of the car!” Bronwic raised his eyebrow, while Steve turned at me, looking incredulous.

“Things are going to your head, Emma. Why on earth would I want to come up with a scheme to steal drugs from him!” He pointed at Bronwic who in return said: “Yes, please enlighten us on the subject, Steve, it is a mystery to me too!” Steve sighed.

“I did not take the drugs! I’m not stupid! Cenec must have hidden it!” Now I rolled my eyes at him. “Oh, right,” I said mockingly, “Blame the poor dead guy, like he is going to defend himself. Just own up to the theft, Steve. I want to go home!” “What makes you think you will ever get to go home?” counter Steve.

Looking in shock yet again from Steve to Bronwic, I realized Steve might be right. Bronwic just smiled reassuringly.

“Don’t mind him, love, he is just trying to rattle your chain.” Well, it was certainly working. I had just assumed I could walk away from this, now all the things I’ve seen on tv regarding drugs and whatnot came rushing through my mind. I didn’t want to end up being a nameless body in a ditch somewhere far away from home. I needed to get out of this mess and not leave any trace I was involved. Helplessly I looked at Steve who in some weird way must have known what I was thinking, because he gave me a slight nod.

“Just tell me where the drugs are, and you can just go home. Both of you.” Steve shook his head. “I’ve done loads for you over the years, Bron. I have never seen you let people just ‘walk away’.” Bronwic’s fake smile disappeared.

“Very well then, I promise your deaths will be quick.”

“But you just said…” I tried, not knowing what else to say.

“Shut up! What did you think I was? A nice guy? I deal in drugs, not charity!” He was on the verge of loosing his cool. He stopped speaking, cleared his throat and tried again: “Speaking of drugs, I still want mine and I’m pretty much done asking for it. So, for the very last time, where the fuck is it?” Steve opened his mouth but was cut off by Bronwic, shouting frantically.

“Stop playing games!” His gun went off and Steve collapsed to his knees next to me.

I fell to my knees too. My arm was around Steve’s shoulder, making him wince. I had forgotten he was shot there too. Steve had grabbed his arm, blood seeping through his clutching hand. Bronwic’s gun entered my field of vision, being put to Steves head. “Tell me where it is, Steve.” 

I felt something cold to my arm as Steve intentionally leaned backwards. Glancing behind his back I saw he had tugged away a gun between his shirt and his jeans. Where the heck did that come from? How did Bronwic not catch that? Or was it the gun from Cenec?

Without thinking I took it as careful and best as I could, without drawing attention to it. I had never fired a gun, let alone held one. I just hoped it was as easy as it appeared in the movies.

“Give that to me!” said Bronwic holding out his hand to me. “Or I will shoot him!”Raising my hands I aimed the gun at Bronwic. Shrugging I told him: “He doesn’t mean much to me – go ahead.” Without thinking Bronwic fired. Steve fell to his side, a gaping hole in his head. I fired as well, or at least I tried. Nothing happened, no matter how much I tried to pull the trigger. Last thing I heard was another shot being fired. I felt a sharp pain before things went black.