1 || Asher Peaks

CHAPTER ONE; ASHER PEAKS
Ghostbusters have arrived in our town?

►▹►▹►

"Guess what? I heard a new guy is coming to town. I bet he's hot." Mercedes giggled as her black curls bounced up and down on her shoulders. Lyla was laying down on her friend's floral bed sheet with a bag of potato chips settled near her mouth. She playfully rolled her eyes at her friend who was currently gushing over a boy she has never met.

Mercedes Cason, the girl named after a car, didn't have a good start with Lyla Johnson. With all the pink dresses and bows Mercedes wore to school everyday, Lyla thought she was a brat. A girl named after a car and always had glitters in her hair bothered Lyla with a burning passion. She thought Mercedes was a spoiled brat. She thought that Mercedes was a show off.

So when Lyla pulled off the pink bow clipped to Mercedes' black hair and Mercedes started to scratch Lyla, it costed the both of them recess detention for two days. During those two days Lyla realized that Mercedes wasn't a total brat and she was just like any normal person. Besides the extreme choice of clothing, of course. And now here they are. The best of friends.

"How do you know a new kid is coming to Asher Peaks?" Lyla questioned Mercedes, with a mouth full of potato chips in her mouth. She got off the bed and tossed the yellow bag in to the small trash can near Mercedes' marbled desk.

"I had to go to the bathroom, but I heard the principal talking about how a boy is coming to our school." Mercedes emphasized on the word "boy" and continued to type away on her laptop. Instead of helping each other out on their English project, they were talking about a new kid. 

Lyla was done with her English project and had it turned in on Thursday, two days after the project was announced. Now the due date was by the end of the week and Mercedes hasn't finished hers, yet. Being the good friend Lyla is, she decided to come over and prevent Mercedes from getting a failing grade. Though, all Mercedes was doing was putting on different playlists and typing a few sentences.

The skies were mixed with purple, pink, and yellow and the smell of apple pie was coming from downstairs, where Mrs. Cason was cooking. Mercedes inhaled the smell and sighed in delight. She saved her project on her laptop and clicked on the 'turn-off' button before jumping off the bed and dragging along Lyla with her.

"Mercedes, I have to get home! It's getting late." She had realized it was starting to become dark outside and she knew she was going to get an earful from her parents. Lyla had always been scared of going home when it was dark outside. She feared the monsters or ghosts lurking around in the corners.

Mercedes rolled her eyes at the girl who stopped mid track and bit down on her bottom lip.

"Oh, come on! You've brought your earplugs, right? So put on music while you ride your bike home." Mercedes knew that Lyla did everything better if there was music. Whenever Lyla had her earplugs plugged in her ears, she knew she was trying to calm herself or just enjoying herself. Music was one of the biggest factors of Lyla's life and everybody in school knew that.

Lyla looked hesitant for a bit and groaned in defeat as she followed Mercedes to the dinner table. The Cason family hung pictures of Mercedes and her older brother when they were both little near the dinner table. There was a grandfather clock in the living room, where there were two leather couches and one leather chair.