Part Five

“I’m glad to see you all made it safely on your journey.” Birch, the director’s friend, welcomed the four tired travelers.

“We’re just happy we could arrive ahead of schedule.” Dannie climbed off his horse and shook the man’s hand.

“All the better. The faster we get this over with the faster this part of the territory will be safe.” Birch gestured for Dannie to follow him inside his home. Donnie climbed down himself and started to unload his bags when he got an ‘ahem’.

“What? You can’t get down by yourself from that height? Nagato managed just fine.” Donnie gestured to how easily Nagato had slid of her horse and was now walking into the house with all her things.

“It’s the gentleman thing to do.” Diana retorted.

“Well I ain’t no gentleman.” Donnie spat on the ground to empathize this. He then turned around and went inside himself.

“Only way you’re getting down is when you hop on down yourself.” He called over his shoulder. “Just be happy I’m at least carrying your things.” And with that Donnie was through the door.

“Well.” Diana pouted. She looked down to see how far down the drop would be. “It doesn’t seem so bad…” Carefully she made her way down without trying to startle the horse. Once both her feet were on the ground, she hurried on inside not wanting to be left alone in an unknown place.

“Good, we’re all here now.” Birch clapped his hands together. He was just a tad bit shorter than Dannie but was more physically fit them him. Birch’s hair was a light brown and his eyes were a slightly pale green. He seemed to be a very cheery fellow. “How about we eat something before I give you all the details?” He then lead the group through a door into the kitchen where a hearty meal was set for them.

“How many of us were you expecting?” Diana asked as she looked onto the amount of food that was prepared.

“Not too many, but after your long journey I figured you all would be hungry” He gestured to the table. Once everyone had sat down and filled their plates with food, a little conversation began.

“Birch, how do you know our director?” Dannie asked.

“Ah, me and him go way back in the day when we was just lads. We actually grew in this village together until he left to go join your guild.”

“What was he like as a kid?” Donnie leaned forward, wanting to know every last bit.

“A wild one. He was always on the lookout, ready to defend him and the village.” He then proceeded to tell a few stories about their childhood days which made Donnie crack a smile.

“Birch.” Dannie cut in before he could start another. “I believe we have all had our fill, I believe it’s time to talk about the real reason why we’re here.” Nagato nodded in agreement.

“You’re right. Please, come this way.” Birch stood up and walked everyone to a back room that was cluttered with papers and books. Diana was the last one through the door and was eager to finally learn what Donnie and Dannie were hired to fight in the first place.

“As you all know, you’ve come here on a mission to slay a beast that has been terrorizing our village and many others for a few months now. At first we thought it would just go away once it got bored, but the raids have been getting worse and it’s happening about every day now.

“I had sent a plea out to your director a week ago and he sent me a reply three days ago that he had just the two members to deal with it. Though I should expect one or two more people to come. When I had first read that he would only sending two I thought he was simply joking. Two people could not handle such a beast, but I also remembered just what your guild is capable of so I figured that the two must be highly experienced, incredibly strong people.” Birch looked up and stared at Donnie and Dannie.