Part Nine

“Have the necessary checkpoints been achieved?” Nagato asked as she crouched next to Dannie and Diana in the brush.

“I received word from Rorren that he and his men have secured the gems and are ready to bring them back as soon as he sees the signal.” Dannie whispered.

“Donnie is in location.” Nagato didn’t bother to ask this time around since it’s obvious where Donnie would be.

The plan is the same as last time. Donnie will bring the Dragon out here where the rest of the team will then lend their support as they see fit while keeping Diana out of the line of fire.  A brief discussion occurred regarding the repetitiveness of this plan, which of course was none other than Donnie. He felt that the dragon was much smarter then they all thought and that he would be able to easily counter their simple plan. But neither Nagato nor Dannie would budge in their decision.

“Donnie will lead him here as planned. He knows what will happen otherwise.” As if on cue, a high pitched, angry roar resounded throughout the air.

“Here we go. Chapter two of our little quest.” Dannie moved silently away to get a better view of the area.

Diana was very far back and out of view so the dragon wouldn’t be able to get to her.

“5...4…3…” Nagato began to silently count backwards, moving her hands up slowly, gathering the water around her. “2…1…” Donnie broke through the trees opposite of her and sure enough the dragon was behind him. Without even hesitating, Nagato fired several shots of water at high speeds toward the dragon. The dragon, seeing something like this coming ahead of time, dropped to the ground, shaking it as he landed.

Dannie nearly fell out of the tree he was perched in. “Smartass dragon.” He whispered to himself.

Donnie had stopped running at this point and drew his sword, ready to engage in combat.

Nagato now had several pools of water surrounding her, just floating, waiting to be sent into the heat of battle.

Diana was still a bit annoyed that the three of them made her go into hiding.

“Let’s go.” Was all Donnie spoke and that was all the battlers needed. In an instant there was fire, water and ice everywhere. Nagato was firing at the dragon, cooling him down while Dannie was poking the creature, touching him for a brief second, freezing a section of his body then bouncing away before the dragon could step on him. But Dannie and Nagato were the least of the dragon’s worries. His biggest worry was the human directly in front of him who seemed overly eager to engage in combat with a beast as powerful as he.

It’s just another human, a speck compared to the mighty might of a dragon such as this one. What could he possibly do? The dragon found out in the next second.

Donnie rushed forward and stabbed the dragon in his front left leg. While the sword only sunk an inch or so, the dragon was still surprised. Surprised enough to real back.

“Heh, you ain’t never meet a human like me. And you never will again when I’m down with you.” Donnie promised the dragon. This threat seemed to ignite the dragon’s fighting spirit, along with his fire. Sucking in a huge breath, a spark occurred in the pits of the dragon’s stomach and a column of fire came spewing out. Donnie was quick to dodge it. Though the tail end of his coat smoldered a bit.

“Donnie!” Dannie called out. But it was too late because the dragon whipped his tail around and smacked Donnie directly in the torso, causing him to fly over the trees and into the forest. “NO!” Dannie cried. He took several steps to go chase after his brother but Nagato stopped him.