I

*14 years later*

''He should be here by now." Ellie muttered to herself as she continued to pace back and forth, waiting for some amateur singer to show up.

"Relax El, it's his loss if he don't come." I attempted to calm my best friend down.

She stared at me as if I'd grown an extra head, "No Noel! This cafe needs more customers or else we'll go out of business, and having music is sure to attract some more customers." 

"What if he isn't any good?" It's been really hard to find good music lately, and having some guy that we've never heard sing come and say he can isn't very assuring in my opinion. 

"Just stop stressing me out Nelly, I'm going to use the bathroom. Make sure to keep a look out for him," she used the nickname that she made for me back when we were children. I just rolled my eyes and turned back to the cash register.

"E-xcuse me m-miss," I looked up at the male that seemed to be about my age, "Erm I'm here f-or the job opening, you n-eeded a s-singer?" he looked so nervous that I almost felt bad for him. How was he supposed to sing for people three days a week?

"First off, you get to audition in the back, c'mon," I said as I led him to the back room, ignoring all the warnings in my head telling me how pissed El would be if she found out what I was doing. I passed by another one of our employees, who was a college student just trying to get some extra cash for food, and told her to go take charge of the cash register and make sure that El doesn't come into the back room.

"Ready?" I asked him once we got to the back. He nodded nervously then pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose as he let out a quiet snort.

Well you only need the light when it's burning low

Only miss the sun when it starts to snow

Only know you love her when you let her go

Only know you've been high when you're feeling low

Only hate the road when you’re missin' home

Only know you love her when you let her go

And you let her go

Staring at the bottom of your glass

Hoping one day you'll make a dream last

But dreams come slow and they go so fast

You see her when you close your eyes

Maybe one day you'll understand why

Everything you touch surely dies

But you only need the light when it's burning low

Only miss the sun when it starts to snow

Only know you love her when you let her go

Only know you've been high when you're feeling low

Only hate the road when you're missin' home

Only know you love her when you let her go

Staring at the ceiling in the dark

Same old empty feeling in your heart

'Cause love comes slow and it goes so fast