Chapter Four - Sorting

Chapter Four – The Sorting

The hat ended its song and the entire hall burst into cheers. From what Echo had gathered in listening to the song, they would each try on the hat and it would somehow decide which house they should be put into.

“Allen, Echo,” Professor Midori called.

The boy in question sighed. Of course he’d be first. Straightening, the silver-haired boy walked across the platform to sit on the stool. Solaris followed him, sitting diligently next to the stool and looking out into the audience, as if daring them to protest her presence. He looked to his fellow first years and his eyes connected with bright green ones just before the hat dropped over his head, cutting off his sight.

“How interesting,” said a soft voice. Echo jumped a bit before realizing that the voice must have been the hat. “It has been a long while since I have seen a mind such as yours. You’ve had such hard times. Ah, you do not agree?”

Echo swallowed. I guess I’ve been through some bad times but I’m sure others have seen a lot worse. Besides, most of that bad stuff is in the past now.

The hat chuckled. “Yes, I suppose you’re right. Hmmm… What’s this? A familiar with a mental bond! And to someone so young! How…intriguing…”

‘Why, thank you,’ Solaris said to the hat.

The hat gave a faint laugh. “Merlin. In all my years… Well, back to business… Let’s see, you are very loyal, but only to those who earn it.”

Why should I be loyal to those who don’t?

The hat chuckled in agreement. “You are smart, but not quite Ravenclaw material, I’m afraid. Though, you do have quite a talent for language. Hmmm…Slytherin or Gryffindor? …While you are fairly cunning, you have a very strong heart, and more bravery than you realize. Better be… GRYFFINDOR!”

Echo realized that the hat must have said the last part aloud for cheering filled his ears in the next moment.

Echo smiled. “Thank you, sir.”

With that, he removed the hat and handed it to Professor Midori before walking towards the cheering Gryffindors, Solaris at his heels. Many of the older kids congratulated him and patted his back as he made his way to sit at the Gryffindor table, Solaris making herself comfortable on his lap once he sat. Echo watched the others be sorted, his hand absently petting Solaris' fur.

“Avery, Malcolm,” A boy with brown hair stepped out of line. He sat on the stool and Professor Midori put the hat over his head.

After a moment, the hat shouted, “RAVENCLAW!”

The second table from the left clapped and welcomed the young boy eagerly into their midst.

“Boot, Elizabeth.”

Not knowing many people who were being sorted, Echo chose to focus more on the people around him.

“GRYFFINDOR!”

In particular, the boy in front of him interested Echo for some reason.

“Callow, Jacob.”

He hadn't been sorted this year, which meant he was older. He didn't look too much older, though. Probably in second or third year.

“RAVENCLAW!”

His eyes were brown, a different shade than Rose's, though. Darker. His hair was a short, spiky shock of black. His skin was sun-kissed, and Echo noticed a lot of dirt under his nails.