Chapter Two

I vigorously roll out of bed from an annoying ringing coming from my brown bedside coffee table. “Yeah?” I answer my phone horrendously.

“Mistie, you do know that it is eight thirty right now, you’re missing class, were you asleep?” I focus myself on this confusing conversation and start tapping my face with the palm of my hands to try and wake myself up from the daze.

“What? Who is this?” I stretch as I start to finally widen my eyes. The details of my messy white and brown room become clear.

“It’s Gazielle?! It’s Friday and it’s eight thirty-two.” She says informingly with anger.

“Oh crap,” I come to realization. “Nonono, I’m sorry! I’ll be right there!” I hang up my cell, head downstairs and scarf a breakfast of FruitNibs down my throat as fast as I can. I then run back upstairs, grab a bottle from my brown cabinet, put it into my backpack and hop onto the #114 bus to get to school. When I arrive, the time is eight fifty-four. I speed walk to the washroom and drink the almost already empty bottle from my bag, I finish the lasts of it, return it back into my backpack then I rush down the hallways and between the classrooms in a brisk pace. I then enter my health class finally.

“Miss Field,” My Health teacher says. “You’re late; you nearly missed your presentation.” Mrs. Carmen states sternly.

“Sorry, I’m ready to present now.” I reply anxiously. Gazielle and I perform our presentation on health awareness to the class and as soon as we’re done, it’s the end of the period. Gazielle and I embark the hallways. Gazielle has been my friend for three years now. She moved to my Elementary school in grade eight and we never talked once. I guess it’s because the ‘populars’ snatched her away as soon as they saw her face. She dropped those friends because they started getting into hardcore drugs like ecstasy, heroin and crack-cocaine. She didn’t want to ruin her life by getting peer pressured to try it. We were assigned to work together on a project in grade nine and we really liked each other and it figured; we had a lot in common. Soon enough we were having sleepovers and she liked my other friends too. I guess you can say that we formed a group of four best friends.

“The presentation went well, why were you late?” Gazielle asks while twirling her tight, red curls and batting her emerald eyes at a football player across the hall.

“I was sound asleep, I slept through my alarm.” I look at Gazielle and notice she’s not really paying attention, the football player winks at her.

“Should I go talk to him?” She asks me silently as we reach my locker; I dump my heavy books on the ground and start confirming my lock combination.

“Yeah, you can tell he’s waiting for you to go over and say hi.” I gesture in his direction. She leaves without a trace and steps over to the tall, masculine hottie. I grab my books from the floor, force them into my cluttered locker and grab my other books for my next class. I glance over at Gazielle and the football player, she’s writing her number down on a piece of paper. When I close my hell-hole of a locker she returns back to me like a puppy.

“I have to get my stuff,” She tells me. “I’ll see you at lunch!” Gazielle gallops away into the outskirts of the hall. That girl has got to be the most girly-girl I have ever seen in my life. She always wears pink colorful clothes, always has different hair berets and a new nail polish color every single day. She dances professionally in Ballet and has plenty of different recitals each month. She definitely has the money to pay for it because her parents are so damn rich. They invested in some sort of shaving product and apparently now everyone in Vietnam uses it.

As I’m walking down the shallow hall I spot my ex that I dated in grade ten necking a freshman. We dated for about four months and we broke up because he cheated on me with plenty of other girls without me knowing or figuring it out. He admitted it to me and then dumped me. I feel a nauseous feeling inside my stomach as I look at the couple, like I’m about to throw up. Unfortunately, that wasn’t just a feeling. I started spewing all over the floor. The whole hallway looks my way and I faintly see people staring, taking pictures and videos, plugging their noses and students holding their stomachs as if my barf was going to make them barf. I’m beginning to get dizzy and the whole world’s suddenly spinning and I can see double of everybody. I start to feel myself falling.

… 

“Cupcake,” Someone whispers in my ear. “Cupcake?” I wipe my eyes and touch the back of my tingling head; I feel slight pain where I touch.

“My head hurts.”

“Yeah, I know it does, you puked all over the floors and then you fainted and fell backwards. Are you feeling a little bit better?” I look at my bedroom slowly, I must have been out for quite a while I think to myself. My eyes stop wondering and I just stare into my father’s pupils. I nod my head to say yes. He soon grabs me and gives me a bear hug. I begin to have that feeling again and quickly jolt my head to the side of the bed while unwrapping my father’s arms from my around my body. I again, puke, and puke, and puke once more. When I stop, I begin to have huge cramps in my stomach. I clutch onto my belly and hold it there for a little while. I feel a burning sensation and run to the bathroom. I stay in there for nearly two hours throwing up, and going to the washroom.

After a while my dad yells, “You okay in there?” from the other side of the door.

“Yeah I’m fine, Dad.” I admit to him after a few seconds of thinking. I puke for the tenth time and change my mind. “Nope, I’m definitely dying.” My dad begins to chuckle.

“I know what caused your sickness sweetie. I was watching the news and the meat product I bought for the chili I made for us yesterday is on recall. You have food poisoning; I don’t think you’ll be able to recover in time for that party tomorrow.”

“Father, I have to go to that party. Julia’s going to be there from out of town and I haven’t seen her in forever.” I know that I will be fine soon. I also know that I didn’t get food poisoning.

“We’ll see how you feel tomorrow.” For the rest of the night I don’t particularly feel good. As I appear to feel fine, I always soon have to go to the craproom and spend a lot of time doing so. By two O’clock in the morning, I am completely and utterly exhausted. I collapse onto my soft, fluffy, luxurious bed and my eyes slowly close as my worrying and fear drift away.