Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A sixteen year old boy lays in his recliner in his room. The room is filled with complete darkness, encasing the boy in his own thoughts.The odd thing is, it was only three in the afternoon. It was not dark in his room by the nature of night, but by choice. He lay there in the dark, wearing jeans and an unzipped hoodie without a shirt, and just let the darkness surround him, as he felt comfortable in this environment. His thoughts feeling like a mad man was performing an unorthodox riot in his brain.

   Who is this boy? What is his history? Well, to answer the first question, that boy is me. My name is Alan Gruenstein. I am sixteen, close to seventeen. I have ambitions to be a chemical engineer and I am a senior this year. People ask how I am sixteen and a senior, and the answer is that I skipped the first grade because a test I took revealed that I had no need for it. I am also a guitarist, playing mostly blues, metal, or creating a mix of the two. As for my history, I am the oldest of two, my brother being fourteen. My father left when I was two, so I had to teach myself about manhood and my brother examplified his manhood from me. Why my brother would so such a thing I still do not know. We live with my mom, and my grandmother on my moms side and my moms sister also lives with us. Therefore I am the oldest male in the house, and have been since I was two.

   Another question that may have been asked, is why am I laying in the dark? Unfortunately, I don't like that answer. As I have grown and become more mature, it seemed that I may have matured a bit too fast. I almost feel as if my life is progressing slower than I am. Like I'm on the face of a clock and I'm running faster than the hands of the clock. As I have previously mentioned before, my father left, so I have no man around to help me. I feel alone, unrecognized, and I just want a solution to end it all.

   So I lay there in my self established dark cage, on the edge of crying, and I hear my grandma calling my name from downstairs. My grandma is seventy-three and has had double knee replacement, so she has issues getting around a lot.

   "Yes?" I asked.

   "Could you get me a glass of water baby?"

   "Sure...," I say with a sigh. Then my mom starts to get on to me.

   "You better say yes ma'am. You're not too old to show respect. I don't know whats happened to you lately but I'm sick of it. I miss the spark you used to have. What happened to my sweet baby? Now all you do is mope around and spend eighty percent of your time in your room."

   I just ignored her, because I had done nothing wrong, and she was bugging me for nothing. I give my grandma her water, she thanks me, and I run back upstairs. However, because of my long legs, I can't go up the stairs one stair at a time. I have to go up two at a time, otherwise I trip. Well, I missed a stair. I was almost at the top when I fell, and I bounced all the way down. When I finally reached the bottom of the stairs, I had broken my neck. I remember that I felt no pain. I just felt numb. The only other thing I remember is my mom and grandma screaming my name. After that, I saw a blur cover my eyes. I knew I had just died. Though this seems to be the end, this is where the most pivotal part of my life took place....