Chapter 4

Chapter 4

   After I had cried for a bit, I got up to get all of Bo’s stuff. He had about six or seven bones that he gnawed on all over the house. I think Heather felt a certain level of pity for me as she watched, knowing how much that dog meant to me. She knew it would happen, but she still seemed to be sympathetic, which actually made me feel better.

   “So what’s next?” I asked her, halfway serious halfway spiteful, still somewhat angry.

   “Just keep on living your life here. It will all happen in time.”

   I had a slight grin on my face when she said “live”. Considering the fact that I was actually dead, I found that kind of funny.

   We then came back up in my room and talked about what Heaven is like. A few hours later my mom got home from work. She came in my room to try to make me feel better about Bo’s death.

   “Baby I am so sorry…,” she said immediately when she saw me. She came and hugged me, but I only partly hugged her back. I didn’t really need her to help. If you just let me sit in my anger or sadness for a bit, it usually gets worked out; but she always tried to wedge herself into my feelings, which has done more harm than good.

   “Hug your mamma,” she said squeezing me harder, “I work hard for you, you can at least show me some love.” I hugged her so she would stop nagging me for my emotions. Then she left and I sat in my chair and let out a deep sigh.

   “Y’all didn’t change her for the testing did you?” I asked looking at Heather.

   “Not a bit,” she replied with an amused smile. I guess she thought it was funny.

   Then I looked at her and said, “So I have a question for you.” She sat on my couch and sat Indian style getting comfortable just in case she would have had to be ready for a long conversation. She looked at me and nodded her head implying for me to ask the question.

   “How long have you been an angel? Have you been around since the beginning of time or are people born in Heaven or what?”

   She looked up as if she was trying to think of a way to reply. “Well,” she started, “I was actually born in Heaven. Other than the Archangels, there are three types of angels. When people die and go to Heaven, some of them become angels based on how productive their life was on Earth. There are also some angels that have been around since the beginning. About thirty percent of the angels are the “classics” as we call them. They are the teachers and counselors in Heaven.” I shifted in my chair to get comfortable. This was very interesting. She then continued, “I, however, was born in Heaven. People still umm…..’repopulate’ in Heaven, if you know what I mean. We are born as babies, but only grow until we reach the age level according to Earth’s standards that God can use us best at. Some angels grow to an age level of only seven, and some grow up to be in their nineties. However, when they reach the age level that God stops them at, they grow in years, but not in age. God stopped me with the age level of a fifteen year old, according to Earthly standards of course.”

   “Then exactly how old are you?” I asked.

   “Well, in Heavenly years, I am actually two-hundred and eighty-four. My mother had me when she was only thirty-six. Her side of the family is actually very special, since her great great great uncle, my great great great great uncle is the Archangel Gabriel.”

   “Wow that’s pretty crazy!” I exclaimed.

   “Yeah, but all that really means for me is that I get to take my orders from God directly from Him, which is actually quite an honor,” she said.