La Llorona

La LLorona ("The Weeping Ghost woman") is a legendary ghost prominent in the folklore of Mexico. The myth sometimes takes aspects of an urban legend and is present all throughout Hispanic culture, even reaching Spain. According to the tradition, La LLorona is the ghost of a woman who lost her children and cries while looking for them by the river often causing misfortune to those who hear her.

                                                                  The Legend

             Although several variations exist, the most basic story tells of a beautiful woman by the name of Maria who drowns her children in a river as a means of revenge because her husband left her for a younger woman. She soon realizes that her children are dead, so she drowns herself in the river. Challenged at the gates of heaven as to the whereabouts of her children, she is not permitted to enter afterlife until she has found them. Maria is forced to wander the earth for all eternity, searching in vain for her drowned offspring, with her constant weeping and giving her the name "La LLorana". She is trapped in between the living world and the spirit world.

           Parents often use this story to prevent their children from wandering out at night. In some versions of this tale and legend, La LLorona will kidnap wandering children who resemble her missing children, asking her children for forgiveness  and drowning these other children to take their place but they never forgive her and she keeps trying. People who claim to have seen her say she appears at night or in the late evenings from rivers or lakes in Mexico. Some believe that those who hear the wails of La LLorona are marked for death but those who escape in time are not so marked.