Chapter Six

Matthew spent the next 7 days without the company of Darcy. Although she thought he wanted to be without her, it was the complete opposite. He needed her. She held him tight when he needed to be held, she listened to him when he wanted to talk, and she comforted him when he needed comfort.

But he ruined that.

If only he had never broken her heart, if only he showed how much he loved her.

He did the only thing he could think of. He called her.

“Babe?” He asked when the line clicked, indicating she had answered.

“What do you want?”

“I want…” he stayed quiet, “I want to see you. Now.”

With a suck of her teeth, she hung up the phone, only to be annoyed once again with another call from him.

“Don’t hang up when I’m talking to yo-”

She clicked the end button on her phone, once again, only making his feelings of affection alter to feelings of displeasure.

As much as he wanted to call her back, he didn’t. He knew he would only make things worse.

~~~

He waited outside of her house, holding a bouquet of roses, hoping she would answer the door.

She opened the door, looking more beautiful than ever, leaving Matthew speechless.

“Hello? Are you there?” She waved her hand over his face.

“Oh I’m sorry what did you say?” He was hypnotized by her beauty.

“I said ‘can I help you’.”

“Oh, um yes. Will you go out with me? Like on a date?” He asked, more nervous than he has ever been in his whole life.

Matthew was never known to be a nervous person. Why was he nervous around Darcy all of a sudden?

“I can’t,” she said as she closed the door behind her, putting the key in to lock it, “I already have a date tonight.”

“What? With who?” Matthew asked with a despondent tone to his voice, causing it to crack.

“None of your business.” She said as she sauntered past him.

She made her way to the car that had just pulled in not even a minute before. Matt had a feeling in his heart that he had never felt before as he watched her get into the car with the man and placed a kiss on his cheek.

“Who is that?” He, the man inside of the car whom Darcy was going on a date with, asked her.

“No one important.”

~~~

Matthew stayed on the porch, holding the flowers, long after the car, containing Darcy and her date, left.

He took a seat on the porch steps, finding it impossible to stay standing. He was too hurt to do anything. He remained there for an hour, hoping Darcy wouldn’t come back while he was still there. Unfortunately, as if the world wanted everything he didn’t want to happen to occur, she walked out of the car that dropped her off just as he shed a single tear.

She noticed the downcast look that was spread across his face and ran up to him.

“Are you okay? What happened?” she said frantically.

“No, nothing. I’m fine. I just don’t feel good.” He said as he got up and made his way to the car, but came to a halt when he realized he hadn’t given her the flowers. Turning himself around to walk back to her, he said “These are for you” and handed the bouquet to the beautiful girl that was in arms reach of him.

“Wait, Matty, come back!” But he was already on his way to his car that was still turned on in the driveway.