Chapter 2

I sat on my bed. I looked around the room. The yellow walls, the old broken desk, I hated it all. I used to love it. I loved my old dresser. The paint is peeling off of everything. Before I ran away this was favourite room, but now It's just a reminder. A reminder I'm not who I used to be. I've changed. I didn't mean too but I did. I got up and opened my desk drawer. I took my paints out. I hadn't painted since I left. I haven't done much since I left. I looked back at my plain yellow walls.

I pushed my dresser away from one of the walls. It was the plainest wall in my room. I looked at it for a moment. I grabbed my paints and I began painting. I didn't stop until morning. I was up all night painting. Splashes of brown, green, black. I didn't know what I was painting until I had finished painting it. I took a step back and looked. Of course, I don't know how I didn't guess. I was doing it and yet I didn't even know what I was doing. There were bare trees, pieces of bark peeling off. There were leaves and twigs scattered on the floor. And in the background, an abandoned warehouse. With a metal sheet over the entrance. I painted the place it all went down, between Missy and I.

I was staring at my own work in awe. At least until my alarm rang. It was time for school. I figured I should change out of yesterday's now paint covered clothes. I threw my hair into a messy bun and grabbed my bag.

I saw my mom in the sitting room. "Maya, I may have overreacted-" She began only to be cut off my myself. "I'm sorry mom. I should have called you. But I'm going to be late, I gotta run." I finished and ran to school. I walked to my locker which still had the.. memorial up. It was bothering me. I picked down each note, flower, and tiny teddy and walked over the trash can. I looked at my full arms and watched and they all fell into the trash can. I turned to go back to my locker and saw that people were watching me. "What?!" I asked agitatedly. Everyone quickly looked away and I grabbed my books for class.

When I got to class Riley was already there. I smiled at her but she didn't smile back. I decided to just sit down. Mr.Matthews came in and began teaching, but I didn't listen. I drew inside my textbook. It was a sketch. A sketch that looked just like the mural on my wall but in black and white. This time, I added Myself in. I was lying on the floor. I could feel cold on back and damp on my stomach from the blood. Suddenly I could feel the sharp pain. I quickly put my hand over the wound. It still hurt. It wouldn't stop hurting. I started hyperventilating again. I was having flashbacks. "You bitch!" I could hear missy shouting after I had bit her hand. I could hear it over and over and over again. I put my hand my ears and placed my head on the table. I was trying to block out the sound. I felt someone's hand on my shoulder and I jumped.

"Maya, are you okay?" Lucas asked removing his hand. The entire class was looking at me. I didn't say anything, I just looked around and nodded.

The rest of the day was sort of similar. I had flashbacks not as sevear. Finally the bell for lunch rang I practically ran out of class. I went to my locker and changed my books. I was so close to ditching when- "Can we talk?" I turned to see Lucas rubbing his arm. I smiled. I've been meaning to talk to him since I woke up. I nodded and we walked outside.

"Maya, I like you." I blushed, "I like you too Lucas." I replied to him. "No. Maya, I like you. And I can't just watch you in this pain." He said taking a step closer. I looked him in his sharp emerald green eyes. "What pain?" I asked. "Maya, I've seen you grab your stumach. I can see when you dissapear into you head you go pale. I don't know where you go inside of your head but I know it's not good." He said grabbing my hand. I could feel my eyes watering. I didn't want to cry infront him so I hugged him. I hid my face in his stumach. He placed his arms around me and hugged me tight.

"Riley's mad at me. Isn't she? It's because I dissapeared for a little yesterday isn't it?" I asked. He didn't say anything. He slowly nodded. I told him everything. I told him where I was yesterday. How it felt more like a home with survivalists than with my mom. How I was having constant flash back. How I'm paranoid. But I didn't tell him about the mural. I didn't think to.

He comforted me and told me we would get through this.

Lucas walked me home and I hugged goodbye. When I walked into the apartment I saw my bedroom door was wide open. I threw bag down and ran in. My mom was finishing painting over the mural. "What are you doing?!" I asked angrily. My mom didn't look at me. "I'm not having you sleep with that on your wall. I don't want anything to do with it in my house." My mom said as she finished painting. I was furious. That mural took me all night and it used up all my paints. My mom left my room angrily. She slammed my door.

I was angry. I trashed my room. I pushed everything off of my dresser and broke several photos. I looked at my window. There was a fire escape directly outside of it. I stepped out for some air. The I saw the bare wall on the building across the alley way. I grinned and ran to the local art shop.

I bought spray paint and one of thos flashlight head bands. I waited until it was dark and began to work on the wall. Bits of green, black, blue and brown. Some red for the bricks. It was almost finished. All It needed was a girl. A blonde girl on the ground. I took extra special care when painting myself. I wanted it to be clearly me. When I finished and climbed up onto my fire escape and looked down on it. I grinned. "It's not in her house." I sat down and stared at it for hours. It was missing something I couldn't figure out what it was.

I realised it was 3 a.m. and I hadn't slept in days so I decided to go to bed. I began to fall asleep when I heard her again. "You bitch!" I had flashing images of her attacking me and of her jumping off of me. It was like watching a video that kept skipping and rewinding. It was horrible but I couldn't open my eyes. No matter how hard I tried.