Chapter 3

"It's okay baby girl." I heard my mom's voice. I opened my eyes to see her rocking me back and forth. "It's only a nightmare it's okay." She hugged me tight. I have to admit, I missed my moms hugs. They were special, warm and calming. I eventually fell asleep in her arms again. When I woke up to my alarm my mom was gone. I was sort of glad. If she had stayed to see the sun come up she would of saw the mural outside my window. Luckily my room was the only room in the house with a window facing that particular wall. I got dressed and put my hair into a messy bun. I was wearing a red flannel over a white t-shirt and ripped jeans. I put on my black boots and grabbed my school bag. I hated school. I really hated school.

I shouted bye to my mom before closing the door behind me. I kept to myself for most of the day. At least until lunch. "Maya, I'm sorry for over reacting." I turned away from locker to see Riley standing rubbing her arm. "It's okay Riles, you kind of had the right to." I said feeling a little bad. She had a small smile. "So we're friends again?" She asked and I nodded before hugging her. The bell rang for class so Riley ran ahead while I turned to get the last of my books. I had so many books in my hand I dropped my History book. I shoved the rest of my books into my locker. Lucas showed up out of nowhere and picked up my book for me. I smiled, until I realized the book was open when it fell.

Lucas looked at the back cover. He stared at my sketch. "What's this?" He asked still looking at it. I sighed. "When, I draw or paint that's what comes out.." I said quietly. He looked up at me. He closed the book and handed it to me. "I can understand why. It's beautifully done." He said as I looked into his perfect eyes. I smiled. I was sort of shocked and happy that he didn't react the way my mom did. "You're not worried about it?" I asked not breaking eye contact. "No, of course not. It's a major event in your life. And you need to deal with it." Something about his understanding of my situation was so intense. I took a step closer to him. "Do you think I'm weird?" I asked.

He stepped closer. We were inches a part. "The only thing weird about you is that no one should be as beautiful as you." He placed his soft thumb on my chin and moved my head up, showing more of my neck. He then grabbed my waist and pulled me closer before kissing my neck. slowly making his way up to my cheek and the to my lips. He pressed his soft pink lips hard onto mine. Thank god the hall was empty because next he had me pushed up against the lockers. My hands were around his neck as they slowly made their way up to his dirty blonde hair. He slowly caressed my cheek, as we pulled a part. He gave me a quick kiss on the lips and ran to his class.

I walked into art late but the teacher didn't say anything to me so i just sat down and did the assignment that was on the board. I kept to myself for the rest of the day. When the final bell rang I walked to my locker. I saw Lucas at his locker. I walked up behind him. "Hey huckleberry." I smiled. He turned and grinned at me. "Hey short stack." He teased. "I was thinking of going to Topanga's, if you wanna come?" I asked. He agreed and so i texted my mom to tell her that I would be late home.

We sat across from each other at Topanga's and shared a slice of chocolate cake with strawberry ice cream on the side. It was my favourite. We talked for hours. It felt amazing that I didn't feel awkward in the slightest about anything. "Can I show you something?" I asked as the night came to an end. "Of course." He said. I led him outside. It was dark. "Follow me" I said as I walked into the distance. We were walking for about 10 minutes when I asked him to climb a ladder. I climbed up behind him. "Wait here." I said as I opened the window behind us and climbed off of the fire escape and into my bedroom. I found two flashlight headbands and climbed back out to him. I handed him one.

He put it on messing up his dirty blonde hair. He looked at the wall in front of us. Then he switched on the light. "Woah." He said baffled by the mural I had painted the night before.

"Something's missing." I said looking at the mural. Lucas slowly placed his hand in mine. "Maybe it's Missy." He said looking away from me afraid of I was going to react. I didn't say anything I just looked down. He was right. I knew I needed to paint Missy I was just hoping he would say something else. Maybe an extra tree but no, he had to be honest.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Sorry for the late update. I've been working on another project which should be published as you are reading this! it's a Lucaya fanfiction called Performing Arts. PLEASE CHECK IT OUT :)