1: Unexpected Transfer

I just got home

I just got home. I just stepped a foot inside our house when I saw suitcases lined up in the living room. I looked around, a little bit panicky. What could've happened? My parents didn't mention anything about a new project to me.

I headed straight to their room but they weren't there. I went to their study and they weren't there either. God, this was frustrating me. I hated it whenever I would see suitcases in the living room. I only had three months left before summer and one last year before high school end. Where could we possibly be going now?

I picked up my phone and rang them. I couldn't just agree with what's going on. This was not the plan they told me before.

On the first ring, mom picked up and I hurriedly asked, "What's going on?"

She sighed, realizing I already knew. "Honey, we have another project and we're transferring," she said. I heard dad's voice on the other end. "We'll explain when we get back. We're almost home." Then she hung up.

I growled in frustration and ran straight to my room. I locked my door and swore I would never leave my room unless they told me this was all just a misunderstanding and that we're not transferring. Again.

There was a car parking on our driveway and that's when I only realized that I was crying. These pathetic tears were here again just to beg them not to go. It's not like they're going to leave me. They were actually taking me with them. What I was crying about was the fact that I had to make new friends again and understand the place I would be living for the next two years. It's been like that since I'd known. We couldn't even stay in a place for more than five years! It's frustrating enough to know that we're leaving right when prom was approaching.

"Mary, can we talk?" mom asked, knocking on my door.

I didn't answer.

"Honey, we know that this is too much for you, but you gotta understand us."

The sob was trapped in my throat. I left Jamie a text to let him know that I wouldn't be able to go to the prom with him. A minute later, his name appeared and I wasn't sure if I should answer his call.

Jamie had been my long time crush since we transferred here three years ago. Luckily enough right after Christmas break, he asked me to go out with him. We were supposed to go to prom together but how would that happen if I wasn't even going to be there anymore?

"Mary, please. Let's talk. Our flight's this midnight."

I yanked my door open, scowling at mom. "You didn't even dare tell me earlier," I told her.

She sighed, a sympathetic smile plastered on her face. "We wanted to tell you earlier but things were so fast. We couldn't just drop the project. It's our big one yet. The next thing we knew, we're working on our papers and packing our things," she informed me.

"What about prom?" I cried, trying to keep still. "What about my friends here? Jamie? What about all of them? Maybe you got the chance to say goodbye to your colleagues but what about me? I'm going to just disappear to all of them again!"

Dad came into view. "We understand what you're trying to say, Mary."

"No, you don't!" I shouted before slamming the door to their face.

I dialed Jamie's number and when he picked up on the first ring, all I could say was, "I'm sorry."

"What are you saying you won't be able to go to prom?" he asked with urgency.

"My parents... we're moving somewhere. Tonight," I cried.

"What?" It was almost shaky. "That means I won't have a date."

I looked at my phone, brows furrowed in confusion. "Jamie?"

"Mary, I won't have a date. I can ask someone else anyway. I still have time, yeah. That will—"

"Jamie!" I shouted. "Don't you even care that I'm not going to be there?"

"Mary, if you're moving, we can't do so much about it. It's your parents' decision. I can't stop them. It's just such a shame that we can't be at the prom together. I'll miss you for sure."

He wasn't going to miss me with the way I heard his tone.

"Well then, I hope you find yourself a decent date. Jerk!" I hung up quick and more tears let out. I texted my goodbyes to everyone I knew. Some replied sympathetically, telling me to keep in touch. Some didn't even bother to reply to my message. Maybe the transfer was good. Maybe I could find the right person to like. Maybe I could find the right people to hang out with.

After my crying session, I went down and faced my parents. "I guess I don't have any choice but to agree with your decision," I told them.

They both smiled at me. "You'll like it there for sure."

"I hope so. Whatever."

I spun around and went back to my room, filling in the last of my things that they hadn't packed yet.    

New story! I am finally back to writing

New story! I am finally back to writing. I'm taking a break from travelling and my weekends will be committed to writing and reading. And here's a new story for all of you. I haven't written anything new for almost two months? Or more? But anyway, please check this out. It's a short one, but it's just the introductory chapter. I have a wonderful idea for this one so please do add it to your library, vote and comment. Thanks! 

Dedicating this chapter to @beckbee2003 for voting for my other story, TDFL. Thank you!

_kristine