23. Calling In The Middle Of The Night

My first night in New York had been a little extra fun, but not the part where Aidan and I almost kissed

My first night in New York had been a little extra fun, but not the part where Aidan and I almost kissed. I hadn't mentioned anything about the get together I had with him to my mom and I wasn't planning on opening it up first if she's not going to ask. When they arrived after midnight, they only stopped by at my room to say good night.

So far, at two in the morning, I still couldn't find any sleep. Connor had always his way to get into my head.

I closed my eyes and thought of something else but no other thoughts would get in. Just then, my phone started ringing. I looked at the caller ID and what do you know? It's like we're having ESP. I answered it, my heart not knowing what to do.

"Hello?" I said in a question.

"You're awake!" He sounded so surprised.

I took a deep breath. "I am. Why are you calling? It's late, you know."

"When are you coming back?"

I chuckled with no humor. "What's with this game, Connor? I don't think you should be asking me that in the middle of the night," I informed him. There were prickling in my eyes but I brushed them with the back of my hand.

"I just... I'm sorry, you know. I have things to say to you and I don't know how am I going to sleep another night without letting it all out," he said.

"You hurt me. I think that's enough reason not to talk to me again. I don't even know why I let Ariel invite you to the camping." I stopped to breathe. "And Abi! Do you think I'm happy about that? Knowing that you two are going to be cozy and sweet. It's like I just dig my own grave," I exclaimed. I was in total pain. He didn't seem to notice how hurt he's making me.

"Like I said, I have things to say to you. I'll see you soon." Then he hung up.

He hung up on me first. Without anything.

ღ ღ ღ

I got some sleep after my phone call with Connor. At 5:30 AM, my phone rang again. My eyes were too tired to open them but I got to answer it with a groggy hello.

"Is this Mary?" It's a girl's voice. I recognized it right away.

"Abi?" I asked, my eyes starting to open.

"Good morning. I don't know if I woke you up but I have something to say," she said in a serious tone.

"Can't it wait until later? I slept so late and I really, really want to get more sleep. Please. Call me later."

"But Ma—"

I hung up on her. Whatever she's going to say, it could wait.

ღ ღ ღ

Mom left me a note, telling me to just call room service if I need anything. They were out for an early meeting before we fly back to Eston.

I got a text from Ariel, asking me when I was arriving but I just ignored it. Why were they so excited on my arrival? Couldn't they just wait? First, Connor. Then Abi. And then Ariel? I wouldn't be surprised if Ansel also asked when I would return.