Accident

"What happened?!" David Whittemore shouted as he entered the hectic emergency room, approaching his adopted son.

"The plane... Something happened when it took off. It just...crashed back to the ground!"

"Excuse me, are you Riley Whittemore's parents?" a nurse asked, walking toward them.

"Y-yes. Is my daughter okay?" Anne Whittemore asked.

"I'm not sure what happened with the plane exactly, but there have been several deaths. We've called in all of our available doctors to treat the patients that survived. Riley is in surgery right now. She's been unresponsive since being pulled from the crash, correct?" the nurse said in a rushed tone, looking at Jackson.

"Uh, yeah. Yeah."

"What are her injuries? What are everyone else's injuries? Is she going to be okay?" Anne asked frantically.

"Nine passengers died of mechanical asphyxiation and eighteen died from blunt trauma. Riley has a few broken ribs, a punctured lung, and a minor brain injury. It looks as though her body and brain have shut down so that she can heal."

David and his wife followed the nurse to the front desk to give them extended medical history while Jackson headed outside, pulling Riley's phone out of his pocket. He found Brett's number and called immediately.

"Riley?!" the boy's voice said.

"Brett, this is Jackson, Riley's brother. I need you to listen to me very carefully and do not talk until I'm finished. The plane crashed and a lot of people died... This hospital has all of their doctors on call. Riley's in surgery as we speak, okay? I pulled her from the crash and apparently she's been unresponsive since then... She has broken ribs, a punctured lung, and a brain injury. She's basically in a coma."

"I'm coming to London," Brett said. Then the line went dead. Jackson cursed under his breath and called Scott from his phone.

"Jackson?" Scott asked tiredly. "Is Riley okay?"

"I don't have time; I need to get back in the hospital. Look, I just told Brett the bad news and he said he's coming to London. I need you to keep him under control, okay?" Jackson shouted into the phone.

"Uh, yeah, got it."