A Voice in the Wilderness Part 8

At first light the next day as the first shift came topside and the last shift went below to eat breakfast and then sleep, Master Whittemore stood at the forecastle. The sails began to stiffen and billow as the wind picked up. The ship cruised at 16 knots now - a good running speed (some slave ships cruised at 20 knots - 37 km/h; 23 mph). But the rain had picked up and the sky was darkening. He decided he could not wait until next Sunday - not after the incident with Hawkins. He didn't expect to live until then, apparently. At least that's what Jack said.

"When David stood alone against the Philistines," Master Whittemore shouted over the wind, "he cared more about his people, the Hebrews, than being enslaved or killed himself. Just as then, courage before the mast is what is needed now. David stood against the brutal power of the conqueror - the would-be enslavers of the Hebrews. The giant, Goliath, symbolized their arrogance and, yeah, they were brought low by the stone of the young David, later a King of Israel. Each man aboard this ship who stands against the evil designs of its captain and first mate will greatly strengthen our cause. The mighty, arrogant fortress of slavery cannot stand in America if such men come forward.

"Last night I was offered a bribe by the first mate to shut up but I refused. Join me seamen of the Helena and we will turn this ship over to the first United States federal ship we encounter and reveal its hidden purpose."

None of the half dozen men on deck looked like they were paying attention to him and just went about their business of getting the ship prepared for the storm that was brewing. Master Whittemore descended the ladder from the forecastle just as the captain was going up. They exchanged "good mornings" and parted.