Chapter 8: No Californian dream

I always remember the way people said "You live the Californian dream, in California!" We''ll I didn't believe that at all, some people are poor, some are rich and some are just not-happy, just like in the bible it says: "Happy, is the man that feareth away: but he that hardens his heart shall fall in into mischief." I felt like that is the reason Rick was like that. The police no longer were looking for me and Betty, for they closed the case long ago, for the year was 1975. Me and Susan were told to steal some cash and some cigars from a local store, we didn't want to but as the song "Car wash" played in the store, the cashier would not let us have any free items, we were forced by Joe to steal these items or we would be threatened, so when the Cashier wasn't looking I took the money and Susan took the cigarettes, that whole night, I prayed for forgiveness, and could not stop, Susan was miserable about it too. "You girls need to strengthen up, jeez." Joe told us with an unhappy face, "Well maybe you should take us home, then." Susan said, Joe took some cigarette ashes and throw them on her and she screamed in pain, and we kept on driving. An hour later the song "Best of my love", played and I was writing in my journal and stumbled upon something on the next page, it was a note from Betty's Aunt, that read "Dear Iris, Don't give up on faith, the lord is keeping watch over you." then I knew this was the first miracle. I was happy until we made a jerking stop, "What happened?" I asked, Susan gave me big tearing eyes, she was scared for some reason, Joe grabbed her by the wrist and smacked her on the face and pushed her, before she fell she yell at me "RUN, RUN IRI-" before she could finish my name I sprinted out of the car with the Altoids can, my bible and Journal and I ran for my life. "GET BACK HERE-" I could hear Joe Screaming at me and soon I was far enough that it faded away. It was a good thing I bought flats instead of high heels, as I made my way down all the Hollywood streets. I finally found my way to a police station where I ran through the sliding glass doors and almost passed out in front of the front desk volunteer. "We need a ambulance stat!" I heard the police officer say as I passed out.