Captured

The sky had turned to a tar-black and the large clouds were chasing us as we were running to safety. I heard the pitter-patter behind us hitting the leaves that were still hung on the trees. I told Lori to stay focused on running and to never look back. No matter how scary the gun shots were. No matter how terrifying the screams seemed. No matter how loud the engines roared just run I told her.

We quickened our pace as the clouds began to gather up in the sky. The rainfall became intense we were trying to dodge the puddles that were covering the woods that we were running in. The rain was so loud it blocked out everything around us even our vision to see where we were going had turned gray.

We stopped running and sat up against a big oak tree waiting for the rain to calm down. Just like that the rain calmed isync with the winds . We stood up and began to run again. I had forgotten about my foot hurting and my stomach was no longer growling with hunger.

We made it inside of the house and I showed Lori around. I grabbed her some of my smallest clothes to put on which were still a little big but they would do until hers dried again. I hung them up on a pole I made in the attic and I told her to never go downstairs without me. I showed her where to hide if we ever needed too.

I promised her to never leave her alone and made her promise me to do the same. It felt good to have someone to finally talk to. I wasn't to thrilled about being the adult, but it was still heart warming to have her with me.

It was almost morning I didn't have a clock to visually see but I heard the morning creatures beginning to wake. Lori was already fast asleep laying in my usual place. I was leaned up against the wall with a folded towel behind my head trying to stay awake. I could fill my eyes getting heavy and I remember thinking I was only going to sleep for a few hours.

I woke up to a loud bang that startled me and my hand automatically tried to feel for Lori. All I felt was covers as I opened my eyes noticing she was not in the attic with me. I instantly regretted falling asleep. Jumping up I looked out of the window to see military scouring the neighborhood again. Pulling strangers out of random houses.

"Lori," I whispered. Shaking my head I headed downstairs to look for her. Mid way down the stairs I seen her standing near the fridge with her hand over her lips. I motioned for her to come to me. She shook her head no and pointed at the door.

"We got one," I heard a deep voice howl. I backed up a little ways not to be seen and watched the mans arm reach out for her hair and pull her towards the door. With her kicking and screaming she never yelled out my name. I looked out the window where I seen her sitting on the sidewalk in front of my house. I didn't want to be captured. I have went this long without getting caught. Now I knew why no-one would help me before. It is because we become emotionally attached to people or things especially in time of need.

I ran down the stairs yelling for Lori reaching the front door a man holding a gun and a mask covering his face grabbed my arm and pulled me down.

"Here she is", he yelled out in a laughing manner. He smelt like cologne and latex.

He kicked me towards Lori. I wanted to scream his combat boots hurt but the last thing I wanted to do was show fear.

"Why did you come out here?" Lori asked.

"Why did you?" I said to her.

"I seen a babydoll, she said, I have not played with toys in awhile. I was planning on coming right back."

"I told you not to leave, I said, you promised."

"Thats enough, the man said smacking the back of my head."