A Timed Heart

Aviators

Anxiously and cautiously he walked out of the plane and looked around at his surroundings, as if it were the first time he saw light. His eyes took in everything, yet they only searched for one thing. A sort of disappointment was left everywhere his eyes touched; her presence was no where to be seen or felt. He grabbed his belongings and reluctantly placed his black aviators over his sea green eyes, covering up their beauty from the world. He always wore his aviators when he felt self-conscious; they made him feel safe, invisible, and protected, like a baby hiding behind his mother. He nervously swept one of his tan hands through his curly chestnut hair and trudged forward along with all his other fellow service men.

Off to the side he stood still and observed as all the euphoric perfect families ran towards their loved ones and embraced them in hugs, with tears, kisses, and occasionally punches. He had waited so long for this day and now that it was finally infront of him he could not embrace it. He was in a dreamlike state as he pondered over his time in active duty and nobody, except her, could bring him back to reality.

He still remembered the strong scent of burnt flesh and debris after his F18 made impact with the Indian Ocean. He had prepared day and night, every breathing minute of his life, and even left her behind to finally get to his so longed for goal. He was more than ready to kill this mission, but it was the mission that nearly killed him.

Realizing the force that propelled him forward and then quickly pushed him down was not a technical difficulty made him go into a panic attack that he was well trained for.The target was shooting at him! Rushing through his head at that moment were all the memories and plans he had with her. All the broken promises that would come with his death would surely painfully and slowly kill her. The promise to someday see her in a beautiful white dress walking down an isle towards him, to own their own house with a dog and a white fence, and most of all to have their kids be proud of calling him a United States Navy fighter pilot, meant the world to him. He wanted all these things with such an intense passion that he could not, even before death convince himself of leaving her.

Before his mind completely shut off from the impact of the missile that had clashed with his F18 he managed to shoot and kick the window off. The eject button had not worked, but he was not going down without a fight. The strong intoxicating scent of burnt debris...flesh and blood made him dizzy. The sound his precious F18 made as it hit the deserted waters of the Indian Ocean was irrelevant to him. The fire that erupted from it a few seconds after the impact did not register in his mind, all his brain was capable of registering was one simple word, "Swim!"