queens

Brooklyn wasn't Gabriella's cup of tea, much like James thought of Manhattan.

It left Queens at a perfect medium, the neutral borough where the two could meet without being thrown from their depths.

In late March, Queens thrived in the opening of spring despite the overhanging war. Idealistic weather was beginning to surface, the sun shining down on the New York Science Hall.

With more and more men being shipped out overseas, Johnny was losing customers at a rate that caused him to shut down a couple nights a week to keep profits spinning.

Gabriella wasn't complaining in any way, given more time to spend at home in Queens, and no less her favored building in the borough.

The brunette stepped out the main door of the Science Hall, holding a file as her long cobalt skirt shimmied in the soft breeze. "It'd clearly be the standard issue, but there's no way to get enough of it."

Joining her in a neatly pressed suit, Howard Stark made his way down the large steps with a briefcase in hand. "I really wish there was more, but Wakanda simply isn't willing to sell. T'Chaka is worried about his country and thinks the Axis powers wouldn't take kindly to them helping us."

"And rightly so," said Gabriella as they came across a sleek black car parked on the curb of the Science Hall. "Homeland comes first in times of wars. Its rarity doesn't help the case either."

"No, it certainly does not." Howard shook Gabriella's hand, the driver opening the rear door for Mr. Stark. "It's always a pleasure, Miss Laurens. I'm glad I could get your eyes on this project. We'll be in touch soon." He hesitated, running a hand along the stubble of his jaw. "Are you sure you don't need a ride?"

"She'll be just fine."

Howard lightly smiled, nodding to the tall soldier who had come up behind Gabriella. He said a last goodbye, climbing into the backseat of his newest car.

Gabriella turned over her shoulder, meeting eyes with a handsome man in uniform that she'd not seen since he left for Camp McCoy. "Private First Class Barnes," she addressed with smugness in her voice.

Bucky grinned, wearing his uniform better than anyone else in his regiment, walking up to Gabriella with a brightness in his eyes. "Miss Laurens, imagine seeing you here."

"Only my favorite place in Queens," she said with a smile as she went up on her toes and wrapped her arms around his neck. "Now why on earth would I be here on my off day?"

James leaned in, pressing his lips to hers warmly, a tinge of a smile still there.

Gabriella pulled away, sparkling eyes looking up to admire James. "The uniform suits you."

"Everything suits you, Laurens."

"Flattery will get you nowhere, Private."

"You're really going to milk this, aren't you?" James asked with a laugh.

Gabi didn't deny it, still smiling. "Absolutely." She kissed him again, drawing back and taking his hand when he offered it. "How was training?"

"Challenging," he admitted as the two started to walk away from the Hall of Science. "But educational, and well needed." He motioned slightly behind them, "Howard Stark, huh?"