johnny's burlesque

In 1919, the very year Gabriella Laurens was born, a high stakes gambler spent his winnings on a cheap, barely up to code bar in inner Manhattan. He wanted a place for his wife to dance and for his friends to have a hit spot to relax away from theirs.

He did it at the perfect time.

The moment the club opened in 1920, it was on its way up in the world.

Illegal booze, girls, and gold trim.

It was all anyone could ask for.

By the heat of prohibition, Johnny's was the best known club in town.

Johnny Laredo was swimming in more money than he could've ever won in poker, and everyone knew it. It was beginning to pull attention of mobsters all over the city, resulting in the Italian mafia paying Laredo a visit.

There were no bullets fired, but instead an agreement reached.

Nearly 20 years later, Laredo still denied any involvement in organized crime despite the very particular cufflinks adorning his suit that had been a gift from Charles "Lucky" Luciano.

"Let's move it, ladies!"

Johnny Laredo's scratchy voice rang out backstage, adjusting his pocket square as the sound of heels hurriedly clicked along the floor. "Make me proud," he said as he pointed to his leading lady just before ducking back out into the club's main floor. The burly brunet fixed his cuffs like he always did, nodding to a table down by the stage.

Gold adorned the entire theatre, tables set with paying patrons holding alcoholic drinks almost completely filled. The band bumped along like it always did when the girls weren't on.

Johnny slowly made his way around the lavish room, passing the bar as he did his nightly once-over.

"Ten bucks, mister."

Johnny turned at the sound of his bouncer Ron's voice, the heavy gold doors having permitted a new entry.

The music began to slow, signaling the beginning of a number.

Whoever had come had timed it perfectly.

The darkened room was filled with warm breath and excited men, the thick red curtains parting in the middle.

Johnny stood at the back of the room, his arms crossed over his suit, the stage lights still down. He glanced to his side, halfly smiling as he saw the mesmerized look on the new young man's face. "Beautiful, ain't it? Welcome to Johnny's Burlesque." He put out his hand, keeping his voice low to not disturb his customers. "Johnny."

Still thrown off, the gentleman shook Johnny's hand as he watched the unlit figures on stage. "James Barnes."

"What are you looking for tonight, Mr. Barnes?" Johnny questioned, introduction music humming on stage as there was a feminine pitch.

"Gabriella," James distractedly said as the melodic voices filled the room. "Do you know where I can find her?"

Johnny laughed, clapping a hand on Barnes' shoulder. "Oh, kid, I know where you can find her." He lit up a cigar, motioning towards an open two person table, "Take a seat."