not friends

not friends

"Where are we even going?"

Gabriella followed close behind James, fingers laced with his and the roses left in a vase at the theatre. She couldn't help but laugh, Bucky intent on one spot in record time.

"You'll find out," James assured with a smile in his voice.

The night clung to Brooklyn, street lamps burning above to cast light well enough to not trip along the cobblestone roads.

It was quieter than Manhattan, less busy than the streets typically were on a friday night just before extended closing times.

"James," Gabriella quietly said as she pulled him back a little to slow him down. "We look like we're running from the cops.

"It's Brooklyn," he defended with a wide smile as he stopped next to her, "everyone's running from something."

Gabriella pulled back when he tried to keep walking. "What are you running from?"

James leaned in close, half a smile on his lips. "From losing a chance of a second date with you."

"You're ridiculous, you know?" Gabriella asked in reply, laughing at James softly.

"You don't even know me," Bucky said with more a smile than anything.

"You're right, I don't. I barely know a damn thing about you, James."

"Well," James, with her hand still in his, started to back up, "now's your chance." He opened the door of the building and pulled Gabriella inside playfully.

She hadn't even noticed the hole in the wall bistro, only catching a glimpse of the glowing marquee before going through the heavy glass door.

The smell of Italian food overpowered their senses, the fairly filled restaurant the only one open past 11.

"Bucky!"

James grinned as he heard Ricky's voice over the idle chatter of the other customers. "Ricky!" he expressed brightly. He let go of Gabriella's hand, hugging the tall host nearly the same age as him. "How're you doin', pal?"

"Not too bad my friend," the young brunet said with a strong Brooklyn accent. "Not too bad at all." He looked over to Gabriella, Ricky's eyes trailing her before grinning at Bucky. "Not doin' too bad yourself, huh?"

Bucky lightly smacked Ricky's chest, "Come on, put your tongue back in your mouth. Get us a table, would you?"

"No problem, Buck." Ricky squeezed Bucky's cheek, trying to embarrass him. He lead them back to a cleared two seater table, a candle burning in the middle of the nice set. "I'll let Pops know you're in. What can I get you to drink?"

Bucky pulled out Gabriella's chair for her, taking a seat himself after she was situated. "A southside."

Ricky looked to Gabriella, "And you, sweetheart?"

"A grasshopper, please," Gabriella requested kindly.

Bucky leaned his elbows on the table, holding out his hands.