Chapter 1

01.01.2010.

Chapter 1

"Annika, hurry up," I muttered under my breath, trudging through the snow. 

"I'm so sorry I'm not in a rush to steal from innocent people, Paris." Annika spat back, rolling her eyes. 

We had just spent the last two days in a public restroom, but at least it was warm, at least it was clean.  I was only eleven, or was I ten? Nonetheless, I was very young to be looking after an eight year old and a four year old. Then again, I had been too old to let my parents abuse me.

I had just ran away from home, due to the fact that my parents had abused me since they started discussing a very needed, but 'hardly suggested' separation just three weeks ago. I was on the run, with my sister Annika and Andrea. 

When Annika talked about my plan that...might of included stealing, I took it straight to the heart. It wasn't something I wanted to do, it was something my ugly conscience told me to try. We finally reached Fletcher Avenue, a street closest to the Winifred J. Kimberly Junior High School. 

Reaching a sidewalk, and then houses, I stopped before a big, beautiful Victorian house. I smiled, thinking the house almost resembled a church. Annika brushed past me and her long, silky brown hair bounced as she walked up to the door of the home.

"Should I knock?" She asked me, reaching for Andrea's hand. 

"Um," I mumbled, nervous. "I guess...I'm so sorry it has come to this, Nika." She shrugged, so strong for such a little girl. She knocked quietly, then harder. The door slowly opened with a creak, and a little, elderly woman appeared at the door.

"Oh my, Kathleen! The aliens, the aliens have arrived for me! Kathleen, George, quick! Hide Marci!" She cried, looking us over. I shook my head, mumbling quiet words, such as, "No,". A taller woman rushed over, and laughed.

"Stop it, mother! They are children," the woman laughed, turning to us. "I apologize about her, she's getting older you know! Losing it a little bit. Can I help you, girls?" 

I nervously stood up straighter, posture equals legitimate. "Oh, um, hello. My name is Zoe Shields, and I go to Winifred Kimberly, the junior high right around the corner. We're having a fund raiser over there. I'd like to sell you...chocolate. Only four dollars a box. If you would just-"

The woman, who I had assumed was Kathleen, crossed her arms. "Marci," she called, backing away from the door. A younger version of this woman came downstairs. "Is there a fundraiser at your school that I do not know about? That seems highly unlikely." 

The girl shook her head, knowingly. Her long, black hair swooped behind her back. "No, no there isn't. Shouldn't you know that, mom? Doesn't the fact that you're the vice principal mean something to you?" My heart dropped. This young girl before me went to the junior high school. But besides that, this woman - she was the vice principal! They knew I was lying. They knew I had attempted [and failed] to scam them.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I have to go," I said, turning around. I puled Annika harshly, as she yanked Andrea's arm, fighting to get out of the house. 

"No, you can actually stay right where you are, Zoe," she called after me. "or I will call the police." Her voice was sharp, and her words stung. 

I turned around, pulling my sisters with me. "Hi," I mumbled to Kathleen, smiling. "I really have to go, but if we could maybe reschedule this little...talk for tomorrow, that would be cool." 

Kathleen rolled her eyes, as Marci crossed her arms. "Scamming me seems a bit illegal, doesn't it, girls? Tell me now...why would you want to do such a thing?" 

I sighed. "We don't have money, ma'am," I told her, lightly.

"And your parents?" She asked me, less angrily.

"Gone," I told her. "we don't have food, or a shelter, or nice clothes. I just wanted four dollars, ma'am." I started to cry. 

"I..you..you are going to sleep in the guest room tonight, and I'll deal with you three in the morning. Do I make myself clear?" she told me, inviting us in.

"Oh my gosh, thank you, thank you so much." I thanked her, wiping my tears away.

"I'm going to make something out of you girls, build some character. I will, if it is the last thing I do." She told me, showing us to our room.

Her words echoed throughout the night...