Chapter 6

I know, im a horrible person. Its been moths since ive updated and im so sorry. Exams are over now so il be updating way faster, and thanks you to all the people who voted for my novel

This chapters the last chapter before the actual 'plot' begins, so hopefully you enjoy

Dont forget to

Vote

Comment

Enjoy :)

----------------

I still remember my first day at high school. Walking through the large doors and hoping for a bright future. Unfortunately for me, the only thing I ended up receiving were the insults from the other students. I suppose it was then that I realised that life wasn’t all it was cracked up to be, which is why it saddened me when I noticed a young teenage girl walking down the corridor. She was obviously new here.

She walked slowly and unsurely, her hair in a tight ponytail and her clothes ironed to perfection. As she stood underneath a doorway, reading the “Welcome to Cromwell High” pamphlet, I couldn’t help but laugh. Our school, like most others, had an unusually high confidence level. Our motto, “We can’t predict the future, so we create it.” Was a generous example of this.

In my mind, our school motto went something like this:  “Welcome to Cromwell High School. A place where you will be judged on your appearance, where the drama will fill your head with anxiety, where you probably won’t like the people around you, where you will spend most of your day wishing you were somewhere else, and you’ll see a lot of people you really don’t want to see.”

But, somehow, I don’t see the school advertising like that any time soon.

As I looked up from my day dreaming, I realised the girl had left, and slowly made my way to my first class, walking through the large red door and sat down just as Mr Price began rattling of some insignificant fact about the Russians during WW2. I listened intently, watching as his eyes flickered around the class, finally resting on me.

“Grace, can you tell me how many Russians died in World War 2?” I smiled, this was an easy one.

“Over 21 million, the largest number of causalities out of all the countries concerned.”

“So can you explain to me, why 21 million Russians died for the sake of their country and you can’t even show up on class on time?” My smirk turned into a frown and I stared at him in disbelief.

“What-”

“Detention. Today during lunch.” I opted to ignore my classmate’s ignorant comments and turned away from the teacher, keeping as quiet as possible and completing the required work.

After finishing the pages from my textbook, I felt my phone buzz in my pocket. Skilfully retrieving it and hiding it under the desk, I read the message on the brightly lit screen:

Not coming to school today so don’t wait up.

-Tori

My thoughts flickered back to the other day, and a foggy image of her tear stained face in the nurses office left me looking for answers. She was definitely sick, but from what, I couldn’t be sure.

“Using your phone in class, Miss Winters?” I jumped, startled and looked up towards Mr Price’s unhappy face.

“I was just,” I hesitated, “Texting my mum.”

“If I had a dollar for every time a student threw me that line…” He reached for my phone, his hand brushing across my skin. The other students were staring and whispering, laughing behind my back.