Chapter Twenty-Three

Warning: Romantic chapter ;)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fawn coughed as she practically choked on her food when she heard the question. At the same time Garth yelled "Mom!" and Nelson yelled "Cassie!" Cassie just blinked, not really fazed. Fawn knew her cheeks were bright red and when she glanced at Garth, his were too. Garth pulled Fawn off the bench.
"I think it's time we played some volleyball now." He said, pushing Fawn forward with his hand on her back. They shuffled towards the locker rooms wordlessly. His hand on her back felt warmer than it should have. Fawn was about to enter the girls lockeroom when Garth grabbed her arm.
"I'm so sorry about that. My mother, she's just-" Garth ran a hand through his hair and looked at Fawn. His cheek were still a little red which made Fawn's flush again.
"It's uh okay." She said awkwardly. Garth picked up on her tone and let out a frustrated sigh. Fawn kissed him on the cheek quickly before stepping into the girl's lockeroom, wanting to get away for a minute. It didn't take her long to slip off the clothes that concealed her swim suit underneath and she stepped out of the room. She found Garth's family on one of the sand courts and walked over to them. Her eyes immediately shifted to Garth. His body seemed to gleam in the sunlight and Fawn's fingertips tingled as she looked at his bare chest. He was watching her too, but more subtly.
"Alright," Nelson said, interrupting their stare fest, "the two young ones against the trained ones." Garth laughed and came over to Fawn's side of the court. Fawn was suddenly self conscious of her awful volleyball skills and shuffled her feet in the sand. Garth touched her shoulder lightly.
"You'll be fine." He whispered in her ear as he passed by. He turned to face the net and grinned.
"Alright old man, serve it up."

~

They lost both games, but Garth had constant smile the whole time. Apparently Fawn was better than she had thought, surprising herself with a decent amount of good hits. Garth's parents had only won by a narrow victory. Garth and Fawn now sat in the sand side by side, soaking in the afternoon's rays of sunlight. Garth's parents had went to get a quick snack and would return soon. Fawn put her head on Garth's shoulder, feeling the warmth that radiated off of his skin. She heard him let out a long relaxed breath and she kissed his cheek. Garth turned in the sand so he was face to face with her.
"What did you think about today?" He asked, running his thumb along the knuckle of one of her hands. Fawn played with his fingers.
"I had a lot of fun." She said and smiled at him. His brown eyes danced with happiness and reminded Fawn of how handsome he really was. She leaned forward and kissed his lips softly. Garth ran his hand up the side of her arm, pulling her into him. Fawn kissed him again, wrapping her hand around his neck and twisting her fingers into his hair. Fawn's pulse was beginning to buzz when she heard footsteps walking toward them. She broke off their kiss in time to see Nelson and Cassie heading their way.
"Didn't have any good food at the snack bar. You two ready to head out?" Nelson asked. Garth looked at Fawn before he glanced at his father.
"Actually, I have a surprise for Fawn." He said. Nelson raised his eyebrows, but didn't ask any questions.
"Okay then, we will see you two at home sometime." Nelson said and led Cassie away. Fawn looked at Garth and raised her eyebrows in question.
"Go get dressed." He smiled and jumped up, heading towards the mens lockeroom. Fawn watched him walk away, but hurried to the lockeroom. Her mind twisted with the possibilities of what he might want to show her. Garth was already waiting in his car and Fawn slid into her seat. They rolled out of the parking lot and Garth smiled over at her.
"Are you even going to give me a hint?" Fawn asked him. He shook his head. Fawn narrowed her eyes and he laughed. They traveled down country roads until Garth pulled into driveway. Fawn's eyes widened in wonder as a house came into view. It was a log cabin with two stories. The wood was dark with rich color and everything about the house seemed new. Garth parked the car and Fawn jumped out, unable to contain her excitement. She waited by the door as Garth came to the locked door with keys. He had a giant smile on his face. He opened the door and Fawn walked in. The house smelled like wood and lavender. There was a fireplace in a beautiful living room. Antiques were scattered everywhere, giving the house an old look even with its newness.
"Garth this is beautiful!" She exclaimed, looking at him. He ducked his head humbly.
"I designed it." Fawn's jaw dropped.
"Really?" He nodded.
"It was originally for Ava and I, but I figured now." He stumbled for words. Fawn walked over to him. He looked into her eyes and touched her face with his hand.
"Fawn, I love you. When I first saw you I couldn't breath. Even if we don't get the throne, you will always have my heart." Fawn's whole body warmed.
"I love you too." She whispered. The words felt so natural because they were true. Garth smiled and pulled her into his arms, his lips crashing onto hers. Fawn wrapped her arms around him, kissing him back. Garth let go of the keys he had been carrying and wrapped his arms around her waist. They both had finally got what they wanted, to be alone together. Fawn's heartbeat picked up and she pressed against his lips unceasingly. She felt him exhale heavily through his nose and he thrust his lips against hers with a new passion. Each kiss reached a new height as they forced their lips together with heated pressure. Fawn inwardly gasped as a switch seemed to flip on inside her body and she was pushing his body into hers. Garth released her lips and began trailing his lips down her neck and shoulder blades. Fawn exhaled as her skin caught fire and she pressed her lips into his neck. Garth braced one of his free hands against the wall. A sound gurgled out of Fawn's throat and she grabbed his bottom lip with her teeth. Fawn's body shook. Everything about her wanted him, wanted him badly. She shoved a leg in between his and let out a small growl she didn't know she was capable of.  He bit down on her lip and let out a equally passionate growl. Fawn didn't allow any space to come between them as her hands wound up his back. Her whole body seemed to pulse with need. Garth did too, he became alert to everywhere her fingers were. He released his lips from hers pressing his lips into her neck and his body against her. His lips trailed to her ear.
"You have no idea how bad I want to." He whispered in her ear, his breath hot. Fawn brought her lips to his ear.
"You don't know how bad I want you to." She whispered. She felt his body tremor before he took a step back. He breathed in slowly and his face was red. Fawn could feel the heat pulsing off of her own skin. She licked her lips. She had never felt such a hunger deep inside her before and by the looks of it, neither had Garth.
"We should head back." He said, his voice sounding a little raw. Fawn nodded and followed him out of the house. Her skin pricked as her nerves finally calmed down. Garth took a moment to start the engine before he pulled out the driveway. She saw him bite his lip, he was experiencing the same thing she was. They had been like a fire that had raged out of control. For a moment she was fully his and he was fully hers.

~

Fawn and Garth finally returned to the house when the sun was beginning to set. Fawn couldn't really meet his eye without blushing. Nelson and Cassie were on a couch in the living room.
"There you two are, what took so long?" Garth met his father's eye for a fleeting second before he looked away. Nelson narrowed his eyes, but Fawn was sure she saw a bit of a smirk.
"Oh, well. You two can come join us for some down time." Fawn nodded, but she headed upstairs to change first. She slipped out her clothes quickly and put on cotton pants with a tank top. She exited the room as Garth was coming up the stairs. He stopped and stretched his hands against the wall so he was blocking her way. Fawn crossed her arms and smirked at him.
"I need down those stairs, sir." Fawn said. He leaned forward, bracing himself against the walls.
"Say please." He said with a mischievous smirk. Fawn narrowed her eyes and determinedly tried to duck under one of his arms. He barred her way with his body quickly. Fawn blew a huff of air in his face. He raised an eyebrow at her.
"Say please." He insisted. Fawn shook her head and her hands flew at his sides. He instinctively went to block her and she slid by him, almost tripping on a step.
"Hey!" He yelled while she ran down the steps. Fawn smiled to herself and went to sit on a couch to wait for him. After a few minutes he returned downstairs with the same outfit he had slept in at her house. He slid down beside her and she had to keep herself cuddling into his chest for the sake of his parents. Cassie and Nelson didn't stay too long after Garth and Fawn had arrived downstairs. Fawn grabbed a fistful of the blanket Garth had given her just a few minutes ago and watched him put another log onto the fire. His eyes reflected the flames when he turned away from the blaze. He sat down beside Fawn and she didn't hesitate to crawl into his lap. Garth kissed the top of her head and leaned back. He stretched his body out and Fawn buried her head into his neck as they lay there together. Garth rubbed her back slowly and Fawn closed her eyes. This was sheer bliss, there was no other way to describe it. Garth's chest moved each time he took a breath and she listened to the sound of his heart beat. It began to lull her to sleep. Just as the dark warmth welcomed her she heard Garth whisper in her ear.
"I love you."

~

Fawn stirred in her dream as something distant tried to pull her out of her sleep. It sounded like something was ringing. Something like a phone. Fawn's dream dissipated and she was greeted by the darkness of her closed eyelids. The sound touched her ears again. It was a phone. She felt Garth shift beneath her and his hand left her back. Fawn opened her eyes, but made her breaths even, hoping he would still think she was asleep. She focused her eyes on the glowing coals of the fireplace. What time was it?
"Hello?" Garth mumbled into the phone sleepily. Fawn listened to his voice.
"This is." He said and Fawn felt him let out a long sigh.
"What?!" He hissed suddenly. Fawn tensed involuntarily, but Garth didn't seem to notice.
"What? How? When? Lunchtime?!" Fawn closed her eyes, something was wrong, very wrong.
"Why didn't you contact me earlier? Complications? Complications my-" Garth stopped and she could sense he was listening to someone. She opened her eyes again, wishing she could hear what he was.
"Of course they are. They're probably in our driveway right now." He paused for a second.
"Yes, yes, I understand. I'll tell her. Thank you, goodnight." Fawn heard the phone click and she closed her eyes quickly. "Her" could only mean Fawn. His hand touch her spine and trailed down it.
"How do I tell you?" He whispered. Fawn forced herself not sit up and say that he could tell her anything. Fawn was still awake when he fell back asleep. She turned her head to look up at him. His face was slack and his eyes were hidden behind brown lashes. Fawn kissed his chin softly, an aching pulling at her stomach.
What had happened now?