Chapter One.

My body’s weak, it gave up on me. This time I don’t think I’m gonna get out from what I’m underneath. It’s hard to believe another day of rain has come and gone.

The buzz of my alarm startled me awake, and I cursed as the noise seemed to echo through the confinement of my bedroom. My eardrums pounded, and I let out a tired sigh, struggling to free my arms from the cluster of blankets I’d piled onto my bed the previous night in an attempt to form some sort of barricade against the world. My eyes remained closed, and my hand finally shot out from under the sheets in a feeble attempt to put the screeching noise to a halt.

My hand slipped, and I jumped when I heard the alarm clock clatter suddenly to the floor, my face instantly creasing into a cringe at how loud it seemed compared to the silence of the rest of the house. I dropped my head back down onto my pillow, bringing my hand up to my face to grip the top of my nose with my thumb and forefinger. Man, since when were mornings so fucking loud?

Linda, my mom, appeared in my doorway, glancing at the electronic device that was now probably broken on my bedroom floor. An amused smile graced her ageing features and she yawned, muttering the words, “good morning, Frankie,” as she made her way to my bed. She sat on the edge, picking up the clock and placing it back onto my bedside table before leaning down to brush some hair from my face. She studied my expression, and then pressed the back of her hand to my forehead, creasing her eyebrows together. Before she could ask, I spoke up.

“I’m fine, mom,” I lied, completely aware of how unconvincing my words were. Yet, she just nodded, not entirely believing me but accepting that at least this time I was willing to talk to her.

After she left the room, I lay there for a few more minutes with the blankets pulled up to my chin, trying to find the will-power to eventually get out of bed. I managed to find some form of motivation when I heard the coffee machine being switched on, and I sat up quickly – too quickly – causing the blood to rush from my head and leaving me in a dazed state. I stumbled out of bed, shivering when the cold hit my bare arms and legs and I suddenly wished that I hadn’t slept in just my boxers.

I made my way to my bathroom, closing my bedroom door as I passed it and entered the small, en-suite type room that my mom and I shared. Once I’d freshened up as much as I could, I ran a hand through my shoulder-length hair and attempted to do something with it, but eventually gave up with a sigh and decided to get dressed. I found a red t-shirt and a pair of faded-blue jeans in a pile of washing on the floor and slumped them on after giving them a quick sniff to make sure they were wearable, and then headed out of the bathroom and into my bedroom, grabbing my bag and cell phone before going downstairs.

I was greeted in the kitchen by a fresh cup of coffee and a plate of slightly over-done toast, but I managed to force a smile nonetheless, making sure that my mom was looking in the opposite direction when I almost choked on the charcoal-flavoured bread. After wiping my hands messily on my jeans, I picked up the cup, savouring the warmth as I held it up to my face and then began sipping it. I glanced up over the cup, my eyebrows rising at the expression my mom was scrutinizing me with.

“You look tired,” she mused, and I rolled my eyes.

“That’s because I am.” I stood, placing the mug on the ancient dining table and picking up my bag to sling over my shoulder. “But I have to get to school,” I sighed, leaning over to kiss her cheek and then turning towards the door.

“Yep,” she hummed quietly. So quiet, that I thought she was talking to herself. “After all, it is the first day back after summer vacation.”

My head craned in every possible angle as I rushed down the crowded streets, eyes carefully scanning for one face in particular. Hundreds of thoughts circulated my head as I searched, ranging from ‘where is that motherfucker?’ to ‘oh shit, I should have called him.’ I decided to walk a little slower as I passed by his house, hoping that he’d not left for school yet, and I’d passed around three houses down when I heard the familiar voice calling after me.