Soccer Steps

"California Jones get back here!" my mother screamed at me, I ignored her and made my way over to the front door.

"California just listen to me!" I slammed the door and turned around to meet her face "mom how are you about to drop a bomb on me? Telling me that I have a dad which I already knew but I didn't know that he lives on the other side of the world! And that you expect me to live with him all of a sudden!"

She dropped her head in frustration "look sweetie, you were planning on going there in the first place. I don't really see how this is such a problem to you, you wanted to go there for college and now you have the opportunity you are 20 years old! You finished your first year of community college and you have a great opportunity to bond with your dad! Just think about it! You can probably heal and start up soccer maybe not play on a team but still play soccer, your father is friends with a few soccer coaches maybe this is a sign"

"Didn't you hear what the doctors said? I can't play soccer anymore! I don't have any say in this do I?" She smiled at me so innocent.

That same smile that is full of lies.

I screamed at the top of my lungs, crutched over to the couch and sat down with my back facing my mother. I am in a lot of pain but I'm not gonna let her know that, even though I know she knows.

I heard her walk into the kitchen and turn on the stove probably making a cup of coffee which she always does when she is stressed or frustrated.

I grabbed the TV remote turned on the DVD player and watched the game from my senior year.

Oh! Where my manners, my name is California Jones as you may already know I'm from California as cliché as that sounds it's true.

I'm 20 years old, I have green eyes with medium brown hair that is naturally straight uh what am I missing I'm 5'6... OH!

I also have a hip brace that goes all the way down to the middle of my thigh.

Why you ask? Well let's press play and you'll see why.

There I am running towards the goal about to make the winning shot for state until some stupid bitch hip checked me I hit the goal post with my hip and went down but that wasn't the first time I injured my hip.

No the first time was my junior year; I injured my hip I was tripped during the middle of the game and landed right on it. I was rushed to the hospital because it was "worse" than they expected it to be, the doctor told me I needed surgery because of how badly I injured it.

I was out for the rest of the season but we only had 3 games left so I really wasn't that upset.

Then after 4 months I was off crutches did physical therapy and was ready to play soccer again. Indoor season came around and I didn't experience any hip pain or anything like that, maybe here or there I felt a little tug but it wasn't anything serious.

Regular season started up and I took my team to conference with a winning shot to win the game, we fought hard for it and tried our hardest to win that title.

After my conference game I was approached by a man who was a scout who came out to see me play, he shook my hand and gave me the news. "Ms. Jones I will like to give you a full scholarship to Florida State University..."

Florida State is number 1 in the top 25 D1 colleges of course I was going to take this opportunity.

A few games later and there I am playing at state with my team for the first time in 20 years we reached state, I would of never thought that my team could of made it this far. I made my way towards the goal waiting for someone to pass me the ball, the ball was at the corner post of the goal.

I looked at the screen and watched myself on the TV, I ran to the ball and got hip checked hit the post and went down.

I heard the crowd gasp as medics raced the field, I was carried off the stadium and put into the ambulance and rushed off to the hospital where I got surgery again. I turned off the TV and lifted up my right thigh with both of my hands and laid my body across the couch.

The scout told me that my scholarship is taken away because there is no point in having someone who is in serious pain play soccer, I thought my career was over and that I could no longer play anymore. I ended up playing community soccer and then again my surgery didn't recover my hip. I had to wait 5 months to get surgery and during those 5 months I was living in hell.

I finished my one year of community college, I was able to go out of state but there really wasn't any point.

If I wasn't able to play soccer for Florida might as well not play soccer out of state.

I just got hip replacement last month and that's why I'm wearing this contraption, I got surgery three times the doctor told me that there is a slight chance this surgery can heal me for good and I can play soccer again but I find that hard to believe so I just quit.

Last month I also figured I wanted to go to college in England and study to be a sports trainer there.

I got accepted and everything, I was planning on leaving after summer.

I looked at my right thigh thinking about how much I put myself through to continue playing soccer but now I can't play it anymore because of how fucked up it is. And now my mother wants me to go live with my dad because supposedly he's some famous guy down there?

The bastard left me and my family after his forth child was born, why should I even bother meeting him? That's right I shouldn't, I don't even want to live with him. She says it's a good opportunity for me to meet him and finish college over there.

This day cannot get any worse.

Oh wait it can, I just realized something.

My life fucking sucks.