Chapter Three - Changes

It was my first time in a hospital since I was a baby, except for my required check ups and shots. When my parents got the call, they were sure it was the wrong number, that this was not their child they were talking about. Their precious, sheltered, perfect child. I was in just as much disbelief as my parents. When they called my name over the scratchy intercom, I was sure it was for something quite different, like, I don't know, a surprise vacation that my parents would have every now and then. But to my surprise, it was not, and after that, it never was going to be.

Once we got to the hospital is was a lot of waiting and anticipation for what was to come. I'm sure none of the other kids were there for the same reason as I supposedly was. While we were waiting for my name to be called, I occupied myself by guessing when the clock would turn to the next minute. Say it was, 1:42, I would guess how many seconds to 1:43. I was always fascinated with time, but I think now I was just scared of running out of it. Then the moment finally came. The secretary called my name, " Abigail Roderick, head to Dr. Grazon's room please." I was nervous and could feel myself sweating.

Finally in my hospital room, the nurse ran some tests on me to check if their hypothesis was correct. First, she did the normal things, such as weigh me, measure my height and run a urine sample. After that they did some abnormal, more, precise tests. Finally, Dr. Grazon sat my family and I down for a chat on what was wrong with me, and how, or if, they could fix it.

"There's not an easy way to tell nice folks like you this news, but it's necessary. Your daughter has a severe disease that could impact her life very seriously." Dr. Grazon informed us. "Oh! Don't tell me it's true!" My mother said, more worried about how serious it was rather than how I would handle it. "The disease your daughter has is called Tracheal Cancer, and it's very life threatening." Those words hit me like a baseball, no, like a tornado. I had Cancer! CANCER! I thought I might die just hearing those words. My whole life, uprooted and swept away, like it had never been there in the first place.

Right then and there my mother fainted, and my father scooted over to hug me as the doctor told us the details. He said, "Tracheal Cancer is caused by Squamous Cell Carcinoma, and is a common type of a tracheal tumor. Although it's common, it's very serious and painful to deal with. But, it's possible to cure, though it's unlikely. If we remove the tumor it could save your life, but there's still a chance some harmful cells could be left behind on the trachea." He paused, letting the information sink in. "Is there any medication you can put her on?" Asked my father, unsure of how to handle this. "We can give her some special pain medication, but rather than that, the only other option would be to remove the tumor." Dr. Grazon stated. At that point my mother must've woken up, because she said, " Docter, I would love for Abigail to have the surgery, seeming as it's the only option." Docter Grazon responds, " Great! You do know this is a very pricy procedure though,". " Umm, about how much?" asks my father, worriedly. " It would cost you around $2,000 to have the tumor removed, not including the medication." My mother stares at him, wide eyed. "We don't have that kind of money to spare!" Proclaims my father. "I'm afraid that's the only option." Dr. Grazon says. "It doesn't have to be," says my mother, angrily. "We'll find another way, we always do." And with that she stormed out of the room leaving my father and I to do the same.

The whole car ride home was the quietest I think my family's ever been, myself included. Once we were home I went straight up to my bed and cry/screamed. I couldn't understand this! Why me? I was perfectly fine, and had recently started to feel better, of course, until now. Worst of all, I didn't know what we were going to do. It was obvious we couldn't afford the surgery, but the Docter made it clear that was the only option. I went to sleep that night without dinner, and to the sound of
My parents arguing in the next room over what they were going to do about me and my condition. Whatever it was, I hope they made up their minds fast, because it seemed I didn't have much time.