Chapter 21: Reunited

His blade drove through a corpses skull, blood spattering across his face.

He aimed his gun and shot another one, the body crumpling and falling into the snow. He pulled the shotgun off his shoulder and shot, the bullets completely destroying one head and entering the other, killing two at once. He turned to drive his knife into another.

"Wait!" A voice yelled. Levi snapped out of his rage and lowered his knife. "It's just me."

Levi spun around on his heel and began to walk in the direction of their destination.

"You really get into it when you're killing them, don't you?" Levi didn't reply. "You almost killed me! That would have been a sad way to go."

"I would've been happy about it..." Levi grumbled under his breath. Little did he know, his partner had heard.

"Oh, I'm sorry, what was that? Something about me dying? I'll be sure to watch my back. Thanks for the heads up Levi." Levi turned on his heel and pressed the blade of the knife at his partners throat.

"Shut the fuck up, Nile." He hissed. Nile put his hands up in defence.

"Sorry." Levi didn't lower the knife.

"I could kill you right now and watch your pathetic ass turn into a corpse. So cut the crap and shut your mouth so I can get this run over with." He lowered the blade and Nile visibly relaxed.

They had gone on a supplies run that day to a nearby town that had been abandoned a few weeks ago when corpses got in and ate pretty much everyone. It was a risky run but they knew Levi was capable enough to do it. They just got Nile to go with him to give him a challenge. And make his life a living hell. He hated Nile and by what he could tell, Nile hated him too. Not that he cared.

"How's your friend doing? Or are you guys more than that?" Nile asked after about five minutes of silence. They were walking the streets of the town, the snow just a little past their ankles. Some of it had started to melt and Levi was getting excited because he didn't like winter. He didn't like being cold and having to be covered in a billion layers of clothing. He liked autumn the best.

Levi sighed. "I told you to shut up."

"I just asked a question, jeez." Levi sighed again but decided to answer.

"He's getting better." He stated simply. He didn't really want Nile to know any more about Erwin.

"And the second question?"

"What?" Levi asked, trying to fake confusion. He knew what Nile asked.

"Are you guys something more? I've heard you're pretty close."

"No. We're just partners."

"But what kind of partners?"

Levi rolled his eyes. "We are just partners. Nothing more." Although Levi wished differently.

To his surprise, Nile dropped the subject for the rest of the run. They made it into a school and scoured every inch of it, killing corpses along the way. Levi was really the only one being useful. Nile was wandering around aimlessly while Levi was actually gathering supplies. He found a few things in the infirmary like blankets, bandages, a first aid kit, things like that. They didn't find any food but it would probably be spoiled anyway. He found a gun on one of the corpses and took it with him. He found a knife on another.

"Let's go." Levi said as he waved a hand towards himself. He turned and started walking out of the building, Nile jogging to catch up.

They had raided every building of significance in the town and they were ready to go back.