Chapter 24: Like An Open Book

Hanji sat at their desk with their hands on the surface, deep in thought.

They had been going over Erwin's condition and found it to be going well. It would take him some time to get used to the limitations that one arm held but other than that, they deemed him to be in great shape. He would move in with Levi soon enough. But that was not the reason behind their deep thoughts. Their head was currently wrapped around the corpses that roamed the world. They were so fascinating to Hanji. That's the whole reason why they were studying them. That, and they wanted to try and make a cure.

The last corpse Hanji had gotten had sadly died after they'd accidentally poked its brain a little too hard. They didn't realize that it was actually so sensitive. They knew they didn't have a lab to examine anything in but they found it okay. They were so curious about what a corpse actually was and how the virus had gotten into them. Even if you didn't get infected before you died you would still turn in to one. That fascinated Hanji more than anything. But the thing they were most excited about was that Darius had allowed them to capture another corpse. They needed someone to get it for them since they couldn't really leave Trost and they had the perfect person in mind. Levi needed a way to pay for Hanji's services anyway and that seemed like the perfect way.

The door creaked open on its rusty hinges and Erwin and Levi shuffled through. Hanji broke their train of thought and focused on the two men before them.

"What can I do for you boys?" They asked.

"I want to know when Erwin can get out of here." Levi said as he helped Erwin sit on the chair opposite Hanji.

"I already have his stuff packed." Hanji said. It was true. They had packed all of Erwin's stuff, not because they wanted him gone, but because they wanted Erwin to be with Levi. They had sensed Levi and Erwin's connection when they laid eyes on them. They knew that Levi greatly cared for Erwin, if the concern and help and decisions he had to make for the other man were any indications. But Hanji wasn't so sure about Erwin. They may have had a great and smart mind but when it came to Erwin Smith, Hanji just couldn't figure anything out. They couldn't read the man; his thoughts, his ideas, his plans, nothing. It was almost like he didn't have a mind at all. That was the excuse that Hanji gave for why they couldn't figure Erwin out. No matter how hard they tried, they still drew a blank. But that didn't stop them from trying.

Levi was a completely different story though. Hanji knew Levi like the back of their hand despite only just meeting the man a few weeks ago. Levi tried to hide it as best he could but it didn't escape Hanji. He was an open book. It was easy for Hanji to know Levi's thoughts and feelings. His body movements; the little glances and fidgeting revealed a lot about the man. He was easy to read for Hanji. It was almost as if Levi was a children's book that Hanji could read front to back within a matter of seconds and Erwin was a lengthy piece of literature that would take years to read and understand the meaning.

"Really?" Erwin questioned. Hanji nodded. They didn't do a very good job of packing anything, everything was just stuffed in without being folded. But it would do for the moderately short trip that had to be taken to Erwin and Levi's new residence.

"Yep. Why don't you wait outside, I'd like to have a chat with Levi." Erwin cast them a slightly suspicious glance and got up from the chair, a hand on the desk to steady himself as he got to his feet. He stumbled slightly to the door and opened it, pushing it open and closing it softly.

"What did you want to talk about, four eyes?" Levi asked.

"Well, as you know from experience, I am quite interested in the monsters that roam around outside."

"And I care why?"

"Because." Hanji paused. "I have a mission of sorts that I want you to do."

One of Levi's slender eyebrows quirked up in question. "Oh?"

Hanji nodded. "When we first met, you seen me with a corpse. Sadly, it died and Darius is allowing me to get another. I would like you to capture one for me." They explained.

"And I have to do this why?" Levi asked sounding annoyed.

"Because I helped you by taking care of Erwin. So that only means that you have to help me by getting a corpse. Seems fair, right?"

Levi sighed. He was obviously annoyed if the small crease between his eyebrows and the scowl on his lips was anything to go by.

"Fine." He groaned. "But how am I supposed to do it?"

"Get a corpse and cut off its jaw so it can't bite you. Just watch for the hands. Don't let it scratch you. Cut the arms off if you have to but at least keep one so I can study it." Hanji explained. Levi pursed his lips and nodded.

"I'll do it. But only because I have to." Hanji smiled. They sensed that Levi was warming up to them. They sensed a type of blossoming friendship. So easy, they thought.

"Thank you Levi. You can get it on your next run. Darius also said to inform you that he's given you some time off to help Erwin settle in." Hanji explained.

Levi nodded and turned to gather Erwin's things, slinging the bag over his shoulders to open the door, twisting the knob and pushing it open.

"Oh, and Levi?" Hanji stopped him.

"Hm?"

"Take it easy on that ankle, okay?" Hanji noticed that he'd been limping more than usual, an obvious sign that it was bothering him with pain and soreness.

He nodded in answer and closed the door behind himself.

"Ah...like an open book..." Hanji sighed as they leaned back in their chair, propping their feet on the wooden surface of their desk, their hands laced behind their head.

"Like an open book..."