Chapter 4: Moja

I walk out of school, happy to have survived another day. So much has changed in a month.

Balozi, who I now call Bal, has become my best friend. We help each other and survive together.

I have not been attacked once since the first day, but I still carry visu, just in case.

Halili has still posed a threat. I'm very careful around her, for she has the support of the entire school behind her. She seems to be very popular.

As I walk through the ua, I notice a new poster on a column. I says:

FARASI TIMU 2152

TRYOUTS TODAY

2:50 ON THE FARASI TRACK (Next to Stadium)

I check the time on the clock near the office. 2:00.

I walk towards the stadium. Why not? Just because I am nyeupe doesn't mean I can't watch.

Juanyeupe is shining bright, unblocked by mawingu. On the track are nfarasi, about 20. Near them, a young lady, slender and muscular, waits. Going around the track are last year's riders.

The farasi is startlingly similar to a punda. The basic shape is the same, except that nfarasi are taller, longer-legged, shorter-eared, and not striped. I could easily ride one of these.

I debate whether or not to try out. I would have a significance, a dangerous thing for a nyeupe, but if I do well, maybe I'd get some respect. But someone may try to hurt me, therefore stopping me from doing well. But I can defend myself.

I keep going back and forth, and soon, with newfound courage, I walk up to the lady.

She turns around. She has brown hair, incredibly rare for a nyeusi. Her face is young and energetic. She sees me, and though surprised, she doesn't repulse.

"Hello. You must be Mkreth."

Suddenly, my courage drains out.

"Um...yes."

"How can I help you?"

Her eyes are warm and inviting.

"Um...I was wondering...if you don't mind..."

"Yes?"

"Could I possibly...try out?"

Her face breaks into a smile. "Well, I don't see why not! Have you ever ridden before?"

Her smile encourages me."Well, I ride my punda a lot..."

Her eyebrows perk up playfully. "Your punda?"

I smile. "Yes, Ustari. I've raised him since he was a mtoto."

"Well then, let's see... Oh my, I haven't introduced myself! I am Mkufunzi Munira."

She shows my how a saddle and bridle work, as well as basic care for a farasi.

"Now let's see, who do you want to ride?"

I walk down the row of nfarasi. Most are solid colors: brown, brown , brown, black, brown, white, brown, brown, creme, etc.

Ones sticks out. It is a white farasi, with gray muzzle and stockings, as well as black stripes on its rump. Its black hair flows in the wind.

"I choose her."

"That's interesting."

"What?"

"You said you ride pundas?"

"Yes?"

"Her baba was a punda. That's why her coat is so extravagantly patterned, and also why she's a little small. It also makes her stubborn and slow, which is why most of my riders don't like her, but since you ride pundas, I'm sure you can handle her."

"What's her name?"

"Maalum."

"Maalum." Special. How perfect.

I approach her.

"Hello, Maalum."

I stroke her neck. She stares at me. I stare at her. A feeling of understanding forms between us.

Mkufunzi Munira watches in awe.

"I think it is time for you two to try out."

I mount onto her and nudge her forward with my leg. She responds, walking into the starting gate.

As we wait, I stroke her to keep her relaxed. She doesn't seem startled by the small space.

Mkufunzi Munira holds the pistol up.

I position myself above Maalum's back.

Bang.

The doors swing open as we launch forward, Maalum galloping towards the curve.

The other riders have arrived. Seeing us, they laugh, jeering at our oddity.

Maalum clears the curve with ease.

The wind blows past us. I push any other thoughts and sounds out of my mind and focus on the task at hand. As we approach the second curve, I gently nudge her right flank, as not to force my opinion upon her, but to ease her into it.

She agrees, and goes around with grace and poise. The crowd is silent, now staring at the timer in the center of the track.

We speed across the finish line, slowing down to a stop.

Maalum circles around, carrying me to Mkufunzi Munira. I look at the timer.

22.72 seconds.

I look at Mkufunzi Munira.

She is shocked. "You just set a school record. You are in!"

The nyeusi look at me with hatred and jealousy.

But I am fine.

I have found my place.