Dismissed

"We've lost Delta One! The evac birds are getting picked off like ducks in a shooting gallery!" 

"Oh my God."

"We're going down brace yourselves!" 

"We need support!" 

"AAAAH!"

The voices only seemed to compound and get louder and more panicked. A young woman grips her head trying to drown out all the noise and chaos. Buildings were collapsing; the sky was alight with flames and crashing spacecraft. Her face screamed disbelief and horror as a dark force descended from above and consumed everything in its path. And heading right towards her. She stood up and looked to the sky and shut her eyes. "May God have mercy on my soul." She said as the wave of dark matter impacted her with the force of a bullet train. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was another early morning in the middle of Pasadena California. Few people were around in the typically bustling metropolis nearby, and even fewer were even awake. However, at the nearby school of CalTech, a young woman hears her alarm clock go off. She groggily tried to hit her alarm to shut it off, but it wasn't her alarm that was waking her up, it was her cell phone. She looked at her phone; it was her professor. 

"Hello?" She asked with her eyes still shut. 

"Ms. Vasquez, sorry to wake you, but there is something I need you to see at my lab at my house, and quickly it's important." 

"Okay, I'll be right out, just give me a few okay Professor Nakashi?" 

"Yes, yes, of course." He replied before shutting the phone between the two of them. The young woman's name is Cameron Isabella Vasquez, a fourth-year astrophysics major at CalTech. After stretching for a brief moment and letting out a long yawn, Cameron stepped out of her bed. She rubbed her eyes for a second before walking over to her closet to find some clothes for the rest of the day. She checked her phone for a second and took note of the date, March Twentieth, Twenty Fourteen. 

She walked into her shower and threw off her pajamas and turned both the knobs on the shower to get a consistently hot shower. She started lathering herself with a bar of soap that she had in her shower. She usually woke up around five o'clock in the morning to get ready. However, not today being that she was dealing with a sleeping problem. Cameron had been having nightmares recently, not ones that she was used to. It felt too real for it to even be considered a dream, everytime she died she felt as if she'd actually died. But, she woke up only a second later hyperventilating, it was as if she'd drowned only a few moments ago. 

She put a dab of shampoo in her hand and started running her fingers through her short black hair. Cameron liked the way that her hair looked, she hardly ever changed her hair besides this, just going to get it sometimes cut to make it look presentable when she would have a presentation to make.  She hastily stepped back out of the shower after she rinsed herself and dried herself with the towel she had. She placed the towel on the rack on the outside of her shower and walked over to her closet. She snatched a normal bra and undergarments and slipped them on before taking a look at the outfit she would choose to wear. 

"Typical t-shirt and jeans should work fine." Cameron thought to herself. She took a simple t-shirt and a pair of jeans and quickly put them on. 

Cameron grabbed her purse and keys and locked up her apartment before she headed out to the hallway of the compound. She turned around and locked up the door before walking down the hall toward the stairs. Cameron was rather quiet for a college student, she usually kept to herself around Pasadena and even Los Angeles just twenty minutes away. She walked down the stairs to try not to make any sound to alert the surrounding residents. Eventually, she got to the bottom of the stairs and headed to her car.