Chapter one

Alright loves I do hope you enjoy this and, if you happen to find this part boring, please stick it out because I promise you things are about to get pretty freaking interesting. So if you like it: vote, fan me, comment. The usual that lets me know that you enjoy the content I put out. Plus it gives me a mad case of the warm and fuzzies. So enjoy! Love, Grey.

 Evon had always felt a little odd…okay a lot odd. She couldn’t exactly pin point the moment she noticed that she wasn’t like everyone else, but she’d seemingly always known it. Maybe it was the way she had the uncanny ability to read people, familiar and stranger, like a book. Maybe it was the way she was good at predicting things, like the outcomes to certain events; not like guessing lotto numbers, even though she thought that would be pretty nifty and would make her life exponentially easier. Maybe it was just the things that seemed to happen to or to people around her. Evon’s mother, Poloma, would close up or adamantly fight with Evon if she ever brought it up, that feeling in her chest, and soon she just gave up all together.

 That morning, forcing herself out of her bed like every morning to cross her room and turn off her alarm clock that made such a sound that it made her feel ever so slightly homicidal, she felt something would be different. Something was going to happen and, like it or not, there would be nothing she could do to change it. Whenever she got this feeling, she found that it was best just to go about her day as if nothing were going to happen because the feeling of having a knife hanging over her head was worse than anything else, but it was difficult to pretend sometimes.

 Her phone erupted into an obnoxious song that Sage liked, the song going on about being sexy and knowing it, effectively startling Evon to the point where she was questioning if she had soiled herself. Everything the morning had already offered Evon had made her exceptionally jumpy, though she was always quite jumpy in the morning anyways. She rolled her nearly black eyes towards the cracked white ceiling of her room, but she snagged the phone she’d save up for a year to buy from her dresser and slid her finger across the screen, holding the warm device to her ear.

 “Took you long enough, Even!” Sage growled, little warmth in her tone.

 Sage Callingbull had been Evon’s best friend nearly instantly when they had met in first grade, from the moment they shared that table they had formed an iron clad bond that hadn’t weakened over the years like so many childhood friendships tended to do. They also happened to be the only two Native American girls in the entire school-Natives were a little scarce in Detroit admittedly-so they sort of stuck together on that as well, but regardless of feeling bonded by their shared heritages, they were as close as sisters, maybe even more so because unlike blood siblings they chose each other. Sage came with her own variety of quirks-like Evon herself- like calling Evon, Even. It had been on honest mistake in the first grade and Sage had ran with it, making it her own.

 Evon sighed, running a hand through her morning rat’s nest. “Sorry Sage.”

 “You’re obviously forgiven, but I was calling to see if I could stay over tonight.”

 “Why? I mean, why not your house?”

 “Because my mom and dad just had to choose tonight to actually be home.” She grumbled as if that were the worst thing that they possibly could have done.

 “Oh. That kinda sucks?”

 The question was clear in Evon’s tone. Normally, like Evon herself, Sage would be willing to spend time with her parents, even be excited because they worked so often and were seldom home. Personally, Evon would give just about anything to have an entire evening with her mother who worked odd hours at Henry Ford Hospital, taking anything that she could get to make ends meet. Evon strained her hearing, trying to sense any sign of life other than hers in tiny third floor apartment, but she could hear nothing and sighed once again. It was certain that she had taken on another shift and wouldn’t be home until noon.