Chapter 1

Summer break was coming up and I was all alone with no plans. Everyone seemed to be going on vacations. The first night of summer, I treated myself to a spa at home. It was 10pm and I was settling in to watch my second movie, when I heard a knock on the door. At first, I thought over all that safety stuff and not opening the door. Especially at this  hour. I waited a bit longer, expecting to hear another knock, but was surprised to not. Slowly stepping towards the door, I peeked through the eyehole to see if anyone was still there. I carefully creaked open the door, trying to be as cautious as possible. I stuck my head slightly out the door scanning the long, narrow hallway just to see no one there. As usual. Before I closed the door, I looked down to see a brown wooden box. The small box looked large enough to hold a single book. It had a golden rim with a leather cased hinged lid. The dull colored wood showed signs of aging and wear. Admiring this precious and mysterious box, I took it inside my apartment. Opening the box, I could see the dust building up for however long it had been there. Quickly cleaning it out, I gently placed the container safely on a shelf in my bedroom. Now, 30 minutes had passed, and I had still not started my movie. Feeling tired, I decided to go to sleep earlier than planned. Before I turned off my lamp, I stored my unsuccessful book inside the box, hoping one day, it would come in use.