Introduction

Anastasia Gillespie stood no higher than Polly's hip and was a little under a year younger than me when I first laid eyes on her. She owned nothing but the clothes she stood up in, and yet her smile gave me all I needed.

When she put her little hand in mine it was then I knew...I knew I would live and protect her for the rest of my life.

××××××××

Tommy leant on the fence and watched as the horse galloped around the open field. Ana was holding on tightly to the rope, allowing him to circle around her.

"You've been out here watching her all morning" Polly's voice startled Tommy a little "People will talk"

"Let them" Tommy inhaled deeply before continuing to watch Ana "I've got nothing to hide"

"I'm not a fool Thomas, I know she's been sleeping in your bed at night. I've heard her go into your room when you think everyone is asleep. It won't be long before your grandad realises somethings going on"

"And?" Tommy replied much to Polly's annoyance.

"And? You are 16 years old, just children. What if she ends up in the family way?" Polly snapped.

"I stopped being a child when our Dad left, he made me grow up. And so what if Ana gets pregnant? I'll be marrying her one day anyway" Tommy's tone had a harshness to it, he lifted his head when he saw Ana heading towards them.

"He's definately improving, don't you think?" Ana smiled as she looked at Tommy. He nodded and Ana then looked to Polly.

"Morning Pol, is everything alright?" Ana grinned and Polly nodded.

"Yes sweetheart, everything's fine" Polly smiled "I came to see if you wanted breakfast?"

"Yeah" Tommy took the rope off Ana and walked beside her. Polly walked beside Tommy "We should go and get ready for market Tommy"

Polly took the rope and led the horse back to the stables, she watched as Tommy took Ana by the hand and he pair of them ran towards the house "You mark my words Pol, that girl will either be his making or his demise...but either way he will love her until it consumes him"

"It already has" Polly sighed.

××××××××××

Even at 16 Tommy Shelby already had a name for himself, most boys knew not to cross him. And the ones who did were either new to Small Heath or as others said...had a death wish.

The Shelby reputation stemmed right back to the Shelby's great great great Grandfather...you guessed it Arthur Shelby. And it served the family well, no-one questioned a Shelby, not even members of higher authorities. They were a law onto themselves, although Shelby's very rarely follow rules, there is one they swore by...Family comes before anything else.

×××××××××

It wasn't very often the Shelby house was empty during the day, but when it was Tommy and Ana would make the most of it.

Grandad Shelby had spent all morning searching for his grandson and up until now Tommy and Ana had managed to keep their love hidden. But something Curly had said caused Grandad Shelby to think, and the thought of Tommy and Ana laying together was enough to stir a fury inside him. They had made a fool out of him, living under his roof, sharing a bed, lying to him...he was determined to find Tommy and punish him...

"John, JOHN WHERE'S Thomas?" Grandad Shelby called as he marched through Garrison Court.

"At the house I think" John was young and clueless "Ana was helping him do the books"

"I bet she is" Grandad Shelby cursed under his breath.

××××××××××

Ana and Tommy laid together in Ana's small bed, as Tommy looked down he could see the saddened look on her face "Hey what is it?"

"I wish we could be like this forever Thomas" Ana sighed

"TOMMY" an old mans voice called through the house.

"Shit the old man's home" Tommy quickly jumped out of bed and started to pull on his trousers "Jesus Ana get dressed, if he finds us in here like this he'll..."

"He'll what Tommy?" Ana frowned much to Tommy's frustration "Find out the truth that we love eachother?"

"No, he'll find me in you're room, in your bed and demand that Polly sends you away to live with Aunt May in the countryside" Tommy pleaded with Ana "It's only 5 more months until we're seventeen and then we can get married just as we planned"

"Tommy are you up there?" The old Man's voice bellowed through the house.

"I love you Anastasia Gillespie, today, tomorrow and always...remember that alright" Thomas tucked the stray hair from Ana's face around her ear.

"Shit" Ana gasped as the old man's voice was now outside her bedroom door.

Ana quickly wrapped her gown around her and opened the door. Tommy slid himself under Ana's bed "I think he's at the docks" Ana spoke groggy.

"Oh alright, are you alright Ana you look terrible" the old man seemed concerned for Ana.

"Yeah I was just resting, it's just ladies problems" Ana replied and the man nodded awkwardly before disappearing down the hall.

Ana closed the door and helped Tommy out from under her bed "I swear to god they day I don't have to hide under your bed..." Tommy struggled to his feet and pulled on his trousers.

"Shhh he'll hear you" Ana laughed as she kissed Tommy's lips. They both waited for a few moments until the door slammed shut "Now go on down the docks before the old bastard gets there first" Ana laughed as Tommy kissed her lips again before rushing to get dressed and run out of the door towards the front door. Ana bit her lip as Tommy looked up the stairs and threw her a grin, before closing the door behind him.