Chapter 3/I don't want to wait

The market was busy, it usually was on a Wednesday. Ana had gone to meet Ada, they were spending the afternoon at the theatre. As Ana walked through the crowds of people she noticed a face she recognized.

Not a friend or family member, it was the face of the man Tommy had, had a disagreement with the night before.

"Ana what's wrong?" Ada was curious as to what had drawn Ana's attention.

"Nothing, I just saw someone I thought I knew" Ana frowned and returned her attention to Ada, who was busy eying up a boy of her own "Christ Ada if Tommy sees you looking at Freddie Thorn like that...they'll cut him to bloody pieces"

"You won't tell him will you?" Ada panicked and Ana laughed a little "Please Ana"

"No of course I won't" Ana replied gently "Besides he isn't really in a position to judge anyone..."

"What the he'll does that mean?" Ada was confused.

"It doesn't matter" Ana linked her arm inside Ada's, and walked her to.the front of the queue.

"Good afternoon Miss Shelby, Miss Lawrence" the attended greeted them politely by tilting his hat.

"Good afternoon Mr Jenkins" Ana smiled sweetly "How's Mrs Jenkins?"

"She very well thank you Miss" Mr Jenkins smiled.

"And the baby?" Ana added.

"Due any day now" He grinned widely.

"Well you be sure to call on us if you need anything" My Jenkins nodded gratefully at Ana's kind gesture.

Ada smirked and shook her head as the girls walked inside the pic5ure house "You speak to them like you are about 50 not 16..." Ada teased.

"17 next week" Ana corrected.

"Oh forgive me, 17 in a week" Ada laughed loudly.

"Well, Well, well if it isn't the Shelby girl" A tall boy walked towards them wearing a cocky smile.

"Piss off Robert" Ada snapped, come on Ana.

"I'm surprised Tommy let's you out in public, tell me Anastasia how does it feel to be be a tinkers whore?" the boy was shocked to feel a sharp slap across his face.

"I am nobody's whore" Ana snarled "You'll do well to remember that Robert Taylor, or you might just find yourself face down in the bottom of the cut"

"Big words..." Robert laughed.

"You know what, it's easy to be cocky when my brothers aren't here"Ada defended Ana instinctively "I'd like to see you say all this to them. But then again even you can't be stupid enough to call Ana a whore in front of Tommy"

"Robert Taylor get out of my picture house now before I pull down your pants and tan your arse in front of all these people" Mr Jenkins rushed towards them shaking his fist "I'm sorry about that girls, he won't bother you again. He grabbed Robert by the scruff of his shirt and led him out "What the fuck are you trying to do lad? Get yourself killed?"

×××××××××

Tommy was with the horse when Ana arrived at the boat yard. Charlie and Curly were doing a job for Grandad Shelby "Polly said you were here" Ana's voice disturbed Tommy's thoughts, as she got closer it was then she saw the fresh grazes on his knuckles "Please tell you didn't?"

"He had to be taught a lesson Ana" Tommy frowned as he looked at his hands "Its my job to protect you and your honour"

"My honour?" Ana laughed out "Jesus Tommy, I'm not a weak fragile flower. You know what I'm capable of"