Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Brackendead

"Hurry up, Weedpaw!" my mentor, Thrushpelt, yowled.

"Coming," I sigh. I turn from the bush I was sniffing. I thought I had smelled ShadowClan, but it was faint.

"Let's head back to camp," Thrushpelt mewed. He was waving his tail impatiently. I follow close behind. "Take this mouse so it seems like you were hunting." I pick up the mouse Thrushpelt had dropped.

Soon we padded through the thorn barrier. I drop my fresh kill on the pile and stretch.

"Time we got to our dens." I turn my head to see my only friend, Brackenpaw.

"Good idea," I look up at the dark sky. Cats are returning to their dens. Brackenpaw and I run into the apprentices den.

I curl up in my nest near the entrance. Brackenpaw curled up in the back. Around me, cats fall asleep. But I feel wide awake.

Brackenpaw lifts his head and looks around. Then he pads out of his nest and passes me. I quietly follow. What is Brackenpaw doing?

I follow Brackenpaw and he arrives at the lake. He's just getting a drink, I comfort myself.

Brackenpaw bends over and laps up a few mouthfuls of water. Suddenly he grew. He gazed around, wondering what was happening. Feathers and giant eagle wings grew. Brackenpaw's eyes grew dead, glazed over. His teeth became longer. Brackenpaw had become an eagle-cat mutation.

Brackenpaw spread his wings. He had the form of a cat. Feathers instead of fur, larger teeth, a bigger body, and giant eagle wings, these were the differences. Brackenpaw screeched like an eagle. He was about to lift off when a voice called.

"Brackenpaw? Weedpaw?" Thrushpelt erupted from the undergrowth.

Brackenpaw screeched and leaped on top of Thrushpelt. My mentor yowled and was cut off. Brackenpaw keeps his head lowered, sounds of chewing comes to my ears.

The leaves on my bush rustle as I shift. I freeze as Brackendead looks up. Blood-Thrushpelt's blood-drips down his face. Brackendead growls, screeches, and continues gorging on my mentor.

Suddenly Brackendead leaps into the air and flys away. I wait until I'm sure Brackendead is gone.

"Thrushpelt!" I wail. I run up to my mentor. The sight of him was gruesome.

Bite marks on Thrushpelt's face shows how Brackendead had killed my mentor. The middle of Thrushpelt was bloody and torn apart from when Brackendead had eaten him. My mentor had a look of horror on his face.

I burry my nose into Thrushpelt's last bits of fur. I lick the blood from my nose and curl next to him. I weep and cry, beginning to fall asleep.

I don't know how much time passed, but a thump woke me. I opened my eyes to see Brackendead. He opened his mouth and was about to leap when sunlight shined over the tree tops.

Brackendead hissed and screeched. Then he turned quickly and dived into the bushes and undergrowth. Pounding paws made me turn.

"Weedpaw!" Mothstar burst from the trees. "What happened to Thrushpelt?"

I gaze at my leader sadly. I couldn't tell her the truth.

"I-I don't know."