Chapter 3

Chapter 3

DeadClan

I glare at Brackendead.

"If anybody deserves to be leader of a Clan, it's Weeddead!" Reeddead screeched. The other eagle-cats nodded.

"I would love to take leader of DeadClan," I lie. "But I need an apprentice first."

"Fine!" Brackendead spat. "Weeddead can be DeadClan leader, at dawn we will get you an apprentice."

"But doesn't the lake only effect cats at night?" Brackendead screeched in anger and flew off.

"Nice going, Weedwimp!" Thorndead jeered. The others growled and the orange eagle-cat fell silent.

"Respect Deadstar!" Leafdead swung a giant paw against Thorndead's face.

"Let's stay here," I mew. I need to keep these cats away from ThunderClan. "We are our own Clan anyway, aren't we?"

A cat thumped in front of me.

"There's your apprentice!" Brackendead growled. "Fresh from ShadowClan." Knowing the apprentice can't understand me, I motioned it to follow.

"Hurry! The moon's getting low." I glare at Reeddead. I lead the apprentice to the lake and motion her to drink. The apprentice grew.

"Welcome," I greet the apprentice. "You are now the first apprentice of DeadClan."

The apprentice shivered. "Who will mentor me to be a....Dead warrior?"

"I-leader of DeadClan-am your mentor," I extend a leg. "My name is Deadstar. What is yours?"

"My name i-is Birdpaw."

"Come back to the DeadClan group. We will need to find a camp before daylight."

"I want to go back to ShadowClan," Birdpaw whines.

"No!" I leap in front of the apprentice's face. "You will NEVER go back to ShadowClan!" The apprentice whimpered and shook. "Let's get back to the Clan." I pull away.

Birdpaw follows shakily behind me as we head back. The eagle-cats greet us as we come.

"This is Birdpaw."

"Birdpaw! Birdpaw! Birdpaw!" DeadClan cheers.

I wave my tail to silence them. "Reeddead, I trust that you will use your strength and wisdom to the expectations of DeadClan. You are now DeadClan deputy."

"Reeddead! Reeddead! Reeddead!" all but Brackendead cheered.

"Reeddead," I lean over. "I need you to kill Brackendead."