The Plan

This chapter is just setting up background for Mitch and Alex's relationship. Just so no one is confused.

-Queen Grace

The crowd at the club was decent, but not as big as it would be on a Friday or Saturday night. The usual type of customers seemed to be in. The bachelors, the girls in short dresses, the sleazes and all the rest in between. The DJ was playing some song I had never heard on the radio, so I assumed it must be new. Or I'd been listening to way too much of Alex's music. Maybe I would vote for Scott's pick next time, just for a change.

He wasn't here tonight. He'd left to help a hunting friend with a quick case. Alex and I had stayed behind.

Alex. My best friend of whom I maintained a major crazy big crush on at the moment. Like the heart racing, sweaty palms, space out kind of crush. I wondered vaguely if that was why Scott left the two of us alone, to see what would happen when no one else was around. Tough luck Scottie, I thought. Alex wanted to go out tonight. And now here we were, stuck swirling my drink around with my pinkie finger as I listened to Alex hit on various guys tonight. Great plan, Scott. I mocked in my head. I blinked as I returned to my unfortunate reality.

"What, Mitch? No, we're just friends." Alex turned and looked at me, raising his eyebrow and giving me the 'He's hot, help me out' look. I sighed inwardly before looking at the guy. He was dressed in an extremely tight, bright pink tank, black jeans and heels of the highest extremity. He was dressed like a whore, and I refrained from asking Alex in front of him if he had enough money to pay for a guy like that tonight.

"Yeah," I replied like the good wingman I was. "We're only friends." I assured the guy. Alex winked at me in thanks before turning back to the guy and leading him out of the bar.

I pushed my drink away as I realized I'd have to find my own ride home tonight. Maybe I should pick up some earplugs as well.

————————————————–

"Yeah, baby. Oh, yeah." The moans sounded from the room next door, as slams hit the wall rhythmically, shaking the water on my bedside table.

"Okay! That is it!" I jumped up from my bed, throwing the covers off to the side and left my room. I banged on Alex's door with my first, tapping my foot impatiently as the moaning stopped and the door clicked open.

Once it was partially open, I pushed it open all the way.

"Woah!" Alex yelled and the guy shrieked, grasping at the thin sheets to try and cover up his body. Bright pink panties lay on the floor, surrounded by other articles of his and Alex's clothing. I ripped my gaze away from the sight to glare at Alex.

"It is 2 in the freaking morning. I am trying to get some sleep. Cut it out."

"Yeah, whatever. Goodnight Mitch." He pushed the door on me, trying to get me to go away.

"Why's your friend such a bitch?"

"It's that time of the month." Alex joked, but I turned around, slapping him hard across the face.

"What the fuck's your problem!"

"What's my problem! What's my - your fricken bimbos are my goddamn problem, Alex! I'm sick of hearing them all night long and I'm sick of kicking them out in the morning with their goddamn territorial attitudes."

"I should go." The guy in the bed said, as he cleaned up his clothes and wrapped his jacket around him. And I almost felt kind of guilty. It wasn't his fault Alex was getting on my nerves. But as he walked past the two of us and out the door, he gave me a dark glare and muttered something under his breath. I jumped forward to attack him but Alex gripped my arm and yanked me back, letting the bitch get away.

"Great! Thanks Mitch. Real classy."

"Oh shut it! The men you sleep with, Alex - are trashy, disgusting bitches who were one neighborhood over from becoming hookers. And not the good hookers - the ones who smell like pee and suck at sex."

"You would know." He retorted, his eyes widening in regret slightly as the words left his mouth.

"I hate you, Alex Kirk." I turned and stalked back to my door, turning and yelling at him again, my blood still boiling, my fists clenched tightly. "You were supposed to be my best friend. But when those sluts are around, it's like you have no respect for me! You never defend me. It's like I don't mean anything to you!"

"That's bullshit."

"Is it? Alex you're sleeping with a bunch of random men, not even caring about how that might make me feel!"

I had one arm on my door, ready to slam it in his stupid face when he yelled, "Why do you even care! What is wrong with you! Why are you being such a bitch?"

"Because I like you, you douchebag!" I shouted at him, taking a sharp intake of breath at what I just admitted. I brought my hand up to cover my mouth in shock. Alex stood where he was, frozen in place. I was staring at each other, neither one of us knowing what to say, both processing what I'd just said. I felt hot tears running down my cheeks as I stuttered out, "Well say something!"

He didn't say anything.

Instead he strode over to me, grabbed my face in his hands and kissed me right on the mouth. I froze. He was kissing me. My best friend was kissing me. My best friend, Alexander Kirk, had his tongue in my mouth, as he kissed me. His lips were touching mine. Immediately, my hands flew up to his shoulders and I pushed him back.

"What do you think you're doing?" He frowned, just looking at me.

"What's it look like?" He asked.

"Well you can't just go around kissing people like that!" I reprimanded him and the edge of his lips lifted up.

"Can't I kiss my man like that?" I frowned, confused.

"I suppose. If you had a boyfriend."

"Alright." He said and took a step back from me. My body grew cold and I frowned at the loss of contact. But looked up at his brown eyes as he said, "Wanna go steady?"

"You're such a dork." I laughed and stepped forward, grabbing his neck and pulling his smirking face down to kiss me again.

————————————————-

"Extra whip cream."

"No, extra chocolate sauce...whatever that thing is called."

"Chocolate syrup?"

"No!" I giggled and hit his arm.

"Wait..." It was his turn to laugh as I realized he had been right. I did mean chocolate syrup. "Whatever. It's still better." He didn't reply and only tugged me closer to him. I laid my head, once again on his chest, listening to his breathing.

"Mitch," he began but paused.

"What's up?"

"I love you." His eyes met mine and I took a sharp intake of breath. My heart began to pound against my chest, and I couldn't breath. My hands grew sweaty as I choked out, "What."

Alex laughed at my reaction, and placed a hand on my cheek.

"I love you. And I kinda think I have for a long time now." He admitted. I gaped, my mouth resembling that of a fish's as I tried to find my next words.

"Alex...I..." I shook my head, trying to find the words as his face grew discouraged. I bit my lip, trying to think of what to say.