Chapter 13: How Could You? Part 2

Peter's POV:

Magneto lead us through the halls of his hideout, there were five mutants behind us, Magneto, Ashley and two other mutants in front of us and one extra mutant for each of us. I couldn't look Ashley in the eyes and she refused to turn around. Every now and then I'd see her wipe her face as though she was crying. But I knew it was fake. Ashley betrayed us, why would she be crying? Magneto lead us down a flight of stairs and into a stone dungeon with a bunch of cells lined up on either side of the hallway section.

"Guys!" We heard a voice call from one of the cells. We turned towards the voice and saw Jean standing in one of the many cells, clinging onto the bars and staring at us. "They- They captured you too?" She asked quietly. I turned and glared at Ashley, who quickly turned away.

"Yeah." I heard Scott murmur. "Ashley. . ." He trailed off, so I finished it for him.

"- Wasn't on our side after all." I muttered coldly. Jean's eyes filled with tears and she turned to Ashley.

"Ash. . . You-You betrayed us?" Her voice broke at the end as she stared at Ashley. Ashley turned to look at her.

"I-I'm sorry." She said quietly. "I didn't have a choice." Jean turned away from the bars and sat on the seat in the cell. She put her head in her hands like she was trying to hide her tears. The guards shoved us into individual cells, but took the professor back up the stairs.

"You'd better not hurt Charles." Raven said coldly. Magneto looked at her.

"I wouldn't dream of it Raven." He responded. Magneto turned and began walking towards the stairs. Ashley stayed, looking at us all. "Frost Byte!" Magneto called from the stairs. Ashley nodded and walked over to him, they both disappeared up the stairs.

"I-I can't believe Ashley betrayed us. I thought she'd changed." I heard Jean sniffle. I looked across the hall to her.

"Me too Jean, me too." I said quietly.

xX Time Skip Xx

It was probably around midnight, but I still couldn't sleep. The others' snores echoed through the dungeon though. I heard footsteps coming down the stairs, although I couldn't see them. 

"Could you leave us?" I heard a familiar voice say.

"Are you sure, Frost Byte?" A guard asked.

"Yes, I can take them. Besides, those bars are indestructible." I heard the guard grunt in response and then stomp up the stairs. I then heard quieter footsteps walking around the dungeon and Ashley came into sight. She looked into Jean's cell at her sleeping form and sighed.

"Why?" I asked quietly. Ashley jumped slightly and turned around to look at me. "Why did you do it?" I asked her. Ashley walked over to my cell until she was standing right in front of the bars.

"I had to, I didn't have a choice." She responded even quieter than me. I shook my head and stood up. I walked over to the bars so that we were face-to-face.

"Yes you did. You could've told us what happened. We would've forgiven you then. Was it all fake? The friendship, the talks, the kisses? Were they all just part of some big act?" I asked her coldly. Ashley looked at the ground and shook her head.

"That's the problem." She whispered. "They weren't fake. I began to realise that I was beginning to care about everyone there, you especially. I-I was scared. Scared of what Magneto would think."

"Then why didn't you leave? You wouldn't have to worry about what Magneto thought." I said, a bit gentler.

"Because I owed him my freedom!" Ashley responded sadly. I shook my head.

"It isn't freedom if you aren't free to make your own choices." I told her gently. A tear rolled down Ashley's cheek and I wiped it away. "It isn't too late. You could let us go. We could all be free and you could come back to the institute." Ashley stared at me.

"I-I don't know." She said quietly. I reached through the bars and held her hand.

"If you help us, you'll be forgiven." I explained. Ashley looked me in the eyes and I heard footsteps coming down the stairs.

"Frost Byte? Sorry, visiting time's over. You should get some sleep." I heard the guard from before say. Ashley looked to her left and nodded. She let go of my hand and looked me in the eye one last time before turning away and heading back towards the stairs.

"Thank you Jay." I heard her murmur, before her footsteps were heard retreating upstairs. I turned around and walked over to the single bed I had in my cell. I lay down on it and closed my eyes.

xX Time Skip Xx 

I woke the next morning to a bunch of footsteps coming down the stairs. I got up and walked over to the bars. I peeked out and saw Magneto walking down the hall towards us. He was followed by two guards, as well as Ashley. I looked at her with confusion but she just shrugged helplessly, as if to say I have no idea what's going on either. I watched as the two guards walked over to my cell, opened the door and grabbed me before I could register what was happening. They dragged me over to Magneto, who looked down at me with a hint of sadness in his eyes. He then turned and walked back up the stairs. I heard my friends yelling protests as the guards forced me to follow. Ashley was walking behind us as we went along the halls. They pulled me to a wall that had a small hole in it. Magneto slipped his hand in and the wall slid back, revealing a large office.

The guards pulled me inside and I noticed the professor sat in one of the chairs in front of the desk. He was wearing a metal helmet. It was a bit like Magneto's, but I got the feeling there was something different about it. The professor smiled sadly at me as I was sat down on another chair next to him. Magneto sat at the chair behind the desk and gestured for the guards to leave. But Ashley stayed. He turned to me.

"Charles explained what you had told him a few weeks ago." He said sternly. I felt confused for a second, but then my eyes widened and I stared at the professor. He looked at me sadly.

"I'm sorry Peter, I had no choice." He said gently. I slowly looked back at Magneto. The professor had told him that I was his son.

"Is it true?" He asked slowly. I nodded. Magneto sat back in his chair and sighed. He then looked at Ashley. "Tell Godzilla to come here please Frost Byte. Then would you mind taking his place to guard the prisoners?" I slyly looked at Ashley and saw her nod. She gave me a look that seemed to say, be ready. I looked back at Magneto who was looking at the professor. I heard someone enter the room.

"Yes boss?" I heard the guard from before grunt. Magneto looked at him.

"Godzilla, would you mind taking Charles and. . . Peter, to the exit. I think we will kill the rest-" I was just about to protest when a loud, ear-piercing siren sounded throughout the hideout.

"What's going on?" I yelled, covering my ears. Magneto stood up.

"The prisoners have escaped." He muttered. "But how? Frost Byte is the best of the best, they wouldn't be able to escape unless-" He trailed off and my eyes widened as I understood what had happened.

Ashley was leading a prison break.

xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx 

A/N:

Hey guys! 449 READS!!! OMG! TYSM! I'm pretty sure this has only got two or three more chapters to go :(. It's sad. I find it really fun to write this and I hope you're having fun reading it!

Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!