School

Percy's POV:

"Good morning, how may I help you?" The receptionist smiled up at me. I tried to smile back but it was probably more like a grimace.

"Good morning," My mom, ever the polite one, responded, "We're here to see the counselor about enrolling my son, Percy."

"Ah yes, Ms. Jackson. I'll just give her a call and she'll be out in a moment."

"Thank you very much." My mom smiled and sat down in one of those deceptively comfortable looking chairs that are always in this kind of place. I tried to remember why I'd agreed to do this. Was making my mom happy this important? Of course it is. To even think it wasn't, I couldn't think that way. My moms given up everything for me. So if going to this school would make up for any of the pain I'd caused her I have to do it.

Part of my brain screamed that I should have come back months ago, as soon as I'd remembered who I was. A smaller, more rational portion o my brain told me otherwise. My mom needs a son but she also needs a world. Wow, when'd I become so sappy? A voice breaks me out of my thoughts, "Ms. Jackson, Percy? I'm ready for you in the back." She smiles and motions for us to follow her. I don't want to. I'd give nearly anything to run the other direction. Out the door. Down the street. Far, far away from here. But I don't. I don't run. Because this is my mom. And when I said nearly anything I meant anything. Anything except my mom. If I leave now I might lose her. For good. 

So I sit down in the once again deceptively comfy looking chairs (they're actually like rocks, but worse.)

"Good morning, I'm Ms. Flores. Its wonderful to meet you both."

The conversation promised to go on like this for quite some time so I took it as an opportunity to study Ms. Flores. She was maybe 30 years old, short and dark skinned. Her dark hair was lose down her back and I was obvious she straightened it. She seemed like a nice enough lady, if a little over cheerful. Honest enough and eager to please.  Seeing people, especially kids, upset, made her upset. So maybe she didn't have the best past. Not a monster, I guess. The pleasantries were probably over at this point so maybe it'd be worth paying attention.

"So why have you suddenly decided to enroll Percy?"

I decide to take this one, "Well, I haven't been living with my mom for a while, and before that we lived somewhere else."

"May I ask why you didn't live with your mom?" She asked delicately.    

"I was with my father."

"So you'll only be coming to this school part time?"

"No I'm going to be here till I graduate."

"So there are no custody issues?" She looked at mom, "Because we have a wonderful office that helps children and teens deal with living with each parent part time."

"That wont be a problem." My mom said quietly, and I could tell she was upset, "Percy doesn't see his father much."

"But he just said he was living with his father?"

"I was at a boarding school that he paid for. I've only met him a handful of times."

"Oh, well Percy if you ever need to talk about anything my door is always open." We sat in silence for a moment then she continued, "So now we need to find out  what your previous education is like. Do you have his transcripts?"

"Yes," My mom pulled out a folder full of papers, "I think this is all you need."

"Thank you, " Ms. Flores thumbed through the papers for a moment, "This looks like everything. So Percy can start tomorrow if you want."

I was to yelp that tat was way to soon but my moms smile stopped me. Because I cant let her down. Ms. Flores told me where my home room was and told me that it was a wonderful school and that I would love it. Meanwhile, I attempted not to puke. Then me and my mom stood up, said our goodbyes, and walked out the door.