3. A Lord's Demands

It was easy for the children to become fond of their master's wife who they came to know as Samaria Tang. She was kind in spirit and the way that she spoke was neither too demanding nor condescending although they were under her and her husband's authority. Nova was treated the best of all of the servants in the household and was the only one permitted to call her "mama." The poor woman had severe psychological trauma due to her loss of child and kept the girl close, sometimes forgetting the fact that she was there to serve the whole household and not just to be a replacement daughter. Her bare feet made little sound as she crept down the hallway towards the servant's quarters where Nova would no doubt be sleeping. She was granted time to nap once a day since she was still very young and needed more rest than the older servants to be able to work.

"Darling girl," Samaria said quietly while opening the door with a gentle hand. Nova stirred on her cot and rubbed her eyes to face the source of the voice. A small smile broke onto her tired features as she took in the form of her foster mother in the doorway.

"Yes mama?" They exchanged a smile and the woman walked in, lifting the girl off of the bed and placing her to rest on her hip.

"I have a present for you dearest Nova," she said while walking briskly from the room and towards the gardens and stable area. For Nova, the halls passed in a blur with her tired eyes that continued to droop as she nodded off. When the cold breeze of the outdoors hit her though, she was wide awake. They headed to the stables where a guard was waiting for them with a blank expression. He opened a pen at their arrival and Nova was set on her feet. "Go look at your gift, he is under the blanket."

Her small hands were gentle and slow when unwrapping the bundle, filling Samaria with anticipation. Suddenly a small head poked its way through its covers and gave a yawn. Nova gave a small gasp knowing exactly what the creature was and surprisingly she held no fear. Her hand went out to touch the rough surface of its skull face and it met her half way with a happy grumble. The black holes of his skull where eyes would be on any other animal flashed with a golden glow and warmth floated across the surface of her skin. She hugged the small creature and it purred, flicking its long tail back and forth contentedly.

"His name is Armageddon and he was supposed to be for my...I want you to have him," she interrupted herself. Nova's heart grew for the Axius who had taken to sitting in her lap like a kitten after they broke off their embrace.

"Thank you mama," she politely replied, squeezing her newest friend to her chest. From that day on they were inseparable. Armageddon followed Nova throughout the estate whether she was attending to her duties or sleeping in the servant's quarters. The years flew past and she briefly saw her brothers grow to be a trapper and a guard. Arcturus was of course still scared of his own shadow but he did well to bring in large trophies from his hunts. Centauri turned into a well mannered guard and was transferred to be a soldier at the King's palace when he was around 15. His duties prevented him from visiting his siblings but he wrote often enough. The lady of the house, Samaria, began to wither over time as her health deteriorated from another failed pregnancy. She eventually passed away a few months before Nova's 16th birthday leaving the master of the house in a mess of emotions.

"Happy birthday little sister," Arcturus said while walking in to her room. She was sitting on her bed with Armageddon splayed across her lap comfortably. Her hands were tangled into her chesnut locks attempting to braid as one of the maids had taught her. A smile lit up her face at the mention of her birthday and the fact that he held a small pastry in his hand for her.

"I hope you didn't make this. Your cooking is to go no where near my mouth," she giggled. He rolled his eyes at her and thrust forward the cherry pastry with a dollop of white cream on the top. Armageddon's ears perked up and his doglike tongue slipped from his mouth at the scent of food. Nova placed a hand on his forehead and pushed his prying nose away from her dessert.