p a t i e n c e

Hello there. My name is Jack. Jack Renniue-Blue. My friends called me Blue, because that is the colour of patience and that is the word that best describes me.

A few years after the first human fell down, I fell. I was fourteen at the time. When Chara and Asriel were killed in the village at the foot of Mount Ebott, I was five and I quickly became curious about the monsters. I knew they were real, but wanted to see them, too. But, I had to wait. And so, I waited for nine years. In my family, you have a huge party for your fourteenth birthday. It's a sort of tradition. My parents and older sister, Skye, who was nineteen, had saved up enough so we could travel to Mt. Ebott. I had always liked hiking and used that as an excuse to go there for my birthday present. Others would've wanted to do something more exciting, like going to an amusement park, but this probably was the most exciting day of my life.

My older sister walked up the mountain with me, my parents went shopping in a city several miles away, and we found an opening at the mountain's summit. It looked like quite a long fall. Skye laughed as I looked at it, paralised by fear. I had always been afraid of heights.

"You're not afraid of heights anymore, are you?" She said. I was still afraid of heights and stayed close to her as she walked closer to the opening in the mountain. Skye sat down and I feared that the ground wouldn't be able to support the weight of two humans at once. It didn't look sturdy, at least.

"Come here, Jack. Sit down," Skye said as she patted the ground on her right. I shook my head.

"What if the ground can't hold both of us?" I said. She laughed again.

"Oh, Jack. Why are you so afraid of heights?" she asked me. I didn't know, I just was afraid she would fall down.

"I'm not afraid!" I said, pouting as I sat down next to her. I was fourteen, I was not afraid! I sat down next to my sister and we enjoyed the view from up there.

But oh, as cliché it might seem, when we stood up again, I misstepped and put my right foot on a lose rock which caused me to lose my balance and fall. I fell backwards. Luckily for me, Skye had incredibly quick reflexes - she had practiced several martial arts for as long as I could remember, and was almost addicted to Tetris, too - and she caught me before I fell into the creepy abyss in the mountain. But the ground wasn't sturdy enough. She had jumped and was laying on her stomach, but the unstable ground wasn't happy with that and clouds of sand and dust mixed with small stones were kicked up by the impact of her dive-jump.

"Skye, let go," I said "The ground can't hold you. If you pull me up, it'll crumble."

She chuckled, "You warned me. I'm sorry." But she didn't let go.

"Hey, I wouldn't let my little brother fall down alone, would I?"

"Skye, I know about the monsters. They're nice, trust me! I'll be back before you can say my name."

"But.."

"I'll be fine, sis."

"What should I tell father and mother?"

"Tell them.." I stopped to think for a moment, then continued "Tell them I jumped down to see the monsters. They know how much I like that story. It's my favourite."

"You're insane."

"And you're my sister. And my sister trusts her little brother, doesn't she?"

"I love you, don't forget."

"I love you too, sis. Stay patient, I'll see you soon, okay?"

And I let go of her hand.

But I never came back.